Wow! I was nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award! Thank you Anne Marie Ruby for this kind nomination! Anne Marie has written 7 books (yes, 7!) and runs an interesting blog focused on human spirituality. You should check her site out!
Having been in the blogging “business” (does $11.43 really count as a business yet!?) for almost 2 months now this is exciting. Here are the rules for this award, by the way:
SUNSHINE BLOGGER AWARD RULES:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you in the blog post and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or on your blog.
And here are the 11 Questions I was asked by Anne Marie (this will be fun!):
- In your own words, who are you?
- What is your goal with blogging?
- In your own words, describe why laughing helps the inner soul?
- Food unites all race and culture, why?
- What is your thought about kindness?
- If we could all have one song spread around the globe, which song would you nominate?
- What is your favorite day of the week and why?
- If this world had no borders where would you live, and why?
- What is your worst fear?
- To just take a break, what book would you recommend to escape within?
- Describe your dream home to come to after all the struggles of life.
The Deets (details):
In your own words, who are you?
Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Writer. Leader. Fisherman. Goalkeeper. Book Lover.
What is your goal with blogging?
I’ve been traveling for work for so many years now (like, since 2005) that I have all of this experience and expertise built up. And I love to write. Love it. This is the natural combination of things for me. So, for me, first it’s a selfish cathartic exercise. Second, I’d like to help other travelers. Third, I might as well make a little cash along the way. 🙂
In your own words, describe why laughing helps the inner soul?
Who doesn’t love to laugh. Some of the best times of my laugh where laughing so hard you got tears coming out of your eyes and your sides hurt. That cliche is so true…it is medicine. Honestly, it’s better than medicine.
Food unites all race and culture, why?
I love this question. Some of the best times I’ve had is breaking bread with people. Whether it was huddled around a fighting hole with my fellow Marines from all over the US on deployment eating Meals Ready to Eat (MREs) and laughing and telling jokes or eating with our hands in Jordan after visiting the Rock City of Petra or just a great meal with a colleague at Lombardi’s Pizza in NYC – the food is what brings us together.
We all eat. We all need to eat. Most of us love to eat. Eating unites us. It provides a common time and space for disparate people to put aside their differences and treat each other as simply humans.
What is your thought about kindness?
Not enough of it. Including me. I find it hard to be kind to people. Big shortcoming I have. Then I tend to make up for it by doing some lavish. I need be better balanced!
If we could all have one song spread around the globe, which song would you nominate?
Broken, Beaten & Scarred, by Metallica. If you’ve lived more than 2 seconds in this world you know how damned difficult it can be. How it can kick you when you are down or put you at the top of the world. It’s life. And it’s crazy and nutty and unexpected. Sometimes it feels like there’s more downs than ups.
But, those scars that life gives you, they matter. When you are broken down to your last fiber you have a choice. Get the F$#@ up off the mat and put one foot in front of the next. My dad modified the famous Churchill quote (Never Give In) to “Never Give Up” and he wrote it on a 3×5 card and gave it to me when I was young. My nickname was Bulldog…(Ironically appropriate because I later became a Marine). That anthem has helped me get through life.
And Metallica’s powerful, driving song about life is some crazy good pump up music. Here’s some lyrics:
You’re down, then you rise again.
What don’t kill ya make ya more strong.
You’re down, then you rise again.
What don’t kill ya make ya more strong.
Breaking your teeth on the hard life a comin’
Show Your Scars.
Cutting your feet on the hard earth running
Show Your Scars.
Breaking your life, Broken, Beat, & Scarred.
But we die hard.”
Here’s a YouTube Video of a live performance:
And a cleaner version:
What is your favorite day of the week and why?
Saturday. It’s a time that either involves sporting activities with my kids (soccer, ballet, etc) or college football, or a family birthday party. Unlike Sunday which is usually all about rest and relaxation, Saturday is all about connection. Actively connecting with the people or things you love and appreciate in live.
If this world had no borders where would you live, and why?
Near a mountain stream w/ a fly rod in my hand and good Internet coverage. Utah maybe.
What is your worst fear?
To be alone when I am old.
To just take a break, what book would you recommend to escape within?
I am a voracious reader. My mother had me reading Tolkien at the age of 6. While I love many genres, the best type of book to escape within is a fantasy novel or a thriller.
For me there are two books that stand out:
I could literally list 50 books here…but I won’t.
Describe your dream home to come to after all the struggles of life.
I intended to be an architect at one point in my life and I have always truly loved looking at homes, pouring over house plans and admiring unique architectural styles. For years I would design my dream home in my mind or even draft it out (first with old school drafting supplies like Vellum paper), but later using drafting software.
But, after a 7 month separation from my wife a few years back, I realized that home has nothing to do with the 4 walls you have around you or the size of your garage or how many books your library has. It has to do with the people in your life. Your 7 year old daughter rushing up to greet you when you get home from work. Riding bikes with your 10 year old son. Taking your wife in your arms and planting a sloppy wet kiss on her as you both do the dishes. Home is not a place. Home is feeling. Home, when done right, is love.
PS…my wife and I are back together and happily married!
My Final Thoughts
Wow, this was pretty fun actually. Those were some deep questions! Thank you again, Anne Marie Ruby for this unexpected nomination! I encourage everyone to check out her blog.
Your Next Steps!
Ok…if you were nominated by me in this blog chain then you need to do the following:
- Write a blog post answering my 11 Questions (listed at the bottom of this post)
- Follow the 11 People Listed below on Twitter
- Nominate and Tag 11 other people in your network for the Sunshine Award
- Have fun
My 11 Nominees:
- Insane Traveller: https://twitter.com/TravellerInsane
- Business Travel Life: https://twitter.com/BusTravelLife
- Tim Foolery: https://twitter.com/TimFooleryBlog
- The Rebel Fish (Tim Willow: https://twitter.com/therebelfish
- The Serenity Journal: https://twitter.com/SerenityJournal
- Help Momma Sparkle: https://twitter.com/TheSparkleMomma
- Travel with Simon: https://twitter.com/Travelwithsimo1
- Soph Isabel: https://twitter.com/sophisobel_
- RoadWarrior Linder: https://twitter.com/noroadworries
- Bondi to Basic: https://twitter.com/bonditobasic
- Roots Wings & Things: https://twitter.com/RootsWingsBlog
My 11 Questions if you were nominated:
- In 6 words, tell us all we need to know about you
- What is your blog all about and why’d you start blogging?
- What book has made the greatest impact on your life and why?
- What song gets you pumped up the most?
- If you could have any career in the world, what would it be?
- What is your SSN? (ok don’t give me that…just seeing if you are paying attention – you might want to read my post on How to Avoid Getting Hacked While You Travel)! LOL. The real #6: Where and what was the greatest meal you’ve ever had?
- What is your favorite US city to visit? (or if you have never been to the US, what US City do you want to see?)
- What is your favorite travel tip, travel hack or travel trick?
- Why aren’t you a Nebraska Cornhusker fan? You really should be. Go Big Red!
- What is your favorite Netflix Show to download and take on the plane with you?
- If you could create your own “Blogger” Award what it would be?
Have fun! I can’t wait to read of these!
And if you are feeling bookish, feel free to check out the rest of my blog including my new post 7 Ways to Optimize your Airport Experience.
By the way, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might be like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips – the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 11 Packing Tips Every Traveler Needs to Know
- Best Gifts for Business Travelers – The 2019 Gift Guide for Road Warriors
- 9 Healthy Travel Snacks – eat smarter on the road
- Ultimate Bitcoin Travel Directory: How and where to use crypto for travel
- 11 Best Hotel Beds – Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- The 7 Habits of the Healthy Business Traveler: How to Stay Healthy While Traveling for Business