The Transportation Security Administration announced the death of the the 3rd TSA Agent to die from COVID-19. Dian Phipps, who passed away on April 13th, was a Transportation Security Officer working at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta airport.
The TSA offered this statement regarding his passing:
“For over 14 years Dian dedicated his career to protecting the traveling public, and his contributions to TSA and our mission will not be forgotten. Dian first joined the TSA family in 2006 and began his career working checkpoint screening operations at Cyril E. King Airport in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. He also worked as a checkpoint screening officer at Juneau International Airport in Alaska before transferring to Atlanta. His co-workers over the years remember him as a kind and humble person who was always fun to be around, as well as being a talented singer. We offer our heartfelt condolences to Dian’s family, friends and his TSA colleagues.”
This is the 3rd TSA Agent to succumb to the coronavirus. As of April 16, the TSA reported 412 infected TSA Agents, a grim reminder of the great risk they placed themselves at the airport. Less than 1% of the roughly 50,000 employees TSA employs have been infected.
JFK Airport has been hit the hardest with 89 infections followed by Newark with 44 infected agents. Of the 3 deceased agents, 2 have been from ATL. The chart below shows the distribution of infections by US airports.
Data: Sourced from TSA website as of 4/16/20 @ 6:30AM Pacific Time.
Like many of us, you are probably struggling to find your new normal. Perhaps you’ve done that and are simply bored. We’ve got your back. Here’s a ton of recent content that revolves around what’s facing us today, including working from home ideas, what to watch, things to read, and how to avoid boredom. Enjoy.
- Hilarious Work from Home Memes that 100% accurate
- Best Travel Thermometers
- Where to buy Face Masks for Travel
- How to make your own Face Mask
- How to Disinfect your Cell Phone, Laptop, iPad, Spouse, etc (Travel Tip Tuesday #13)
- 11 Ways to Earn Cash from Home
- 17 Tips on Successfully Working from Home
- 7 Work from Home Accessories to Maximize Productivity
- 10 Books that have changed my life (and might change yours)
- 31 Funny Zoom Backgrounds
- Free Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
- How to keep yourself busy at home (31 things to do when you can’t travel)
- Practical advice for leading a team remotely during a crisis
- 5 Virtual Team Building Ideas to keep things light & fun while working remote
- Business Travel is Dead. Long Live Business Travel.
- Will Local Travel Lead the Way Back for the Travel Industry?
- 10 TV Shows from 2000-2010 worth rewatching while you are NOT traveling
- Best New Shows to Watch while NOT traveling (plus some deep cuts)
- Amazon Cinema is here to save us all: watch in-theater movies at home
- Amazon makes many kids shows free to help keep parents from losing their minds
- 7 Creative Ways to Travel When You Can’t Leave Your House
- 47 Best Travel Books of all time, the Ultimate List of Books to Read while Traveling