How the heck do hotels get their beds looking so amazing!? What kind of witchcraft do those hotel maids practice? My bed never looks like that and I doubt yours does either. If you are curious how hotels make their beds look so awesome and you want to replicate this in your home read on. Here are the steps you need to need to make your bed like a hotel bed.
You can read all of the preceding Travel Tip Tuesday’s here.
How to make your bed at home just like a hotel bed!
How do hotels get their pillows to be so plump? Nary a wrinkle to be found on the sheets and it usually looks like it is ready for an HGTV photo shoot. Not to worry, we’ve got you covered. Even if you can’t travel, you can bring the hotel to you!
We did a little research and found an insightful video that the pros over at HGTV put together that tells you exactly how to make a bed like a hotel bed. We give you the highlights, below, and then give you a link to the video so you can learn from the masters.
Here are the steps:
- Get the right setup. It takes a village – a village worth of bedding that is. Thread count really isn’t that important! Yep, thread count, according to the HGTV, is less important than the quality of the cotton. Specifically, Egyptian cotton is preferred. You can actually buy many major hotel sheets and use them at your home. Here’s what the experts at HGTV recommend when trying to replicate a hotel-bed at home:
- Mattress Pad w/ Elastic Edging
- Fitted Sheet
- Flat Sheet
- Pillow Cases
- Light Blanket (or heavy) – like the waffle blankets you see in many hotels these days
- Hotel style Duvet / Comforter
- 2 Standard Pillow Shams
- 2 European Pillow Shams
- As many accent pillows as you feel you need
- Optional (but recommended): a throw blanket (different color than your duvet)
- Mattress cover goes on first! It adds a little extra comfort & coziness.
- Then install your fitted sheet (although, as HGTV points out, many hotels don’t use fitted sheets. They use flat sheets. Find out why here. It’s still ok (and more practical to use a fitted sheet at home, though).
- To get crisp sheets…you could iron them, but HGTV has a different approach. This is interesting. They suggest you dry them about 95% and then put them on your bed slightly damp. Wait, what!? Yep.
- Place your flat sheet. But don’t fold it down yet!
- Place your comfy blanket…and now fold both sheet and blanket down exposing your sheet.
- Tuck everything in nice and tight. And make some of those military or hospital corners you heard about (the video, below, shows you what HGTV means)
- Place your duvet. If wrinkled, spray a little water on it and stretch / smooth it out. The wrinkles will disappear. Downy dewrinkler works too. Make sure to fold your duvet down about half way giving plenty of room for pillow madness!
- Add a throw blanket, if you have one.
- Get pillow crazy. Yep, start with standard shammed pillows, then your European, then your sleeping pillows, then a few accent pillows. Make sure to plump your pillows.
Boom…there you have it. You now have a hotel quality bed – or at least one in disguise. Now…go lay down the law with your kids…NO TOUCHING MY BED!
Here’s the full video from HGTV:
Check out all of our Hotel Tips and Hotel Hacks
Since you stopped in, I’d encourage you check out these other articles we’ve written about healthy travel:
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 11 Best Hotel Beds â Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- 9 Hotel Safety Tips â You Need to Know
- Travel Tip Tuesday #1: Donât Leave your toothbrush in the hotel room
- Best Hotel Sheets – where to buy ’em
- Amazing Hotel Pillows
- Marriott Sheets
- Marriott Mattress Topper
Thanks and stay safe
Like many of us, you are probably struggling to find your new normal. Perhaps you’ve done that and are simply bored. We’ve got your back. Here’s a ton of recent content that revolves around what’s facing us today, including working from home ideas, what to watch, things to read, and how to avoid boredom. Enjoy.
- Hilarious Work from Home Memes that 100% accurate
- Best Travel Thermometers
- 11 Ways to Earn Cash from Home
- 17 Tips on Successfully Working from Home
- 9 Laptops on Sale Right Now
- How to make your own Face Mask
- 7 Work from Home Accessories to Maximize Productivity
- 10 Books that have changed my life (and might change yours)
- 31 Funny Zoom Backgrounds
- Free Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
- How to keep yourself busy at home (31 things to do when you can’t travel)
- Practical advice for leading a team remotely during a crisis
- 5 Virtual Team Building Ideas to keep things light & fun while working remote
- Business Travel is Dead. Long Live Business Travel.
- Will Local Travel Lead the Way Back for the Travel Industry?
- 10 TV Shows from 2000-2010 worth rewatching while you are NOT traveling
- Best New Shows to Watch while NOT traveling (plus some deep cuts)
- Amazon Cinema is here to save us all: watch in-theater movies at home
- Amazon makes many kids shows free to help keep parents from losing their minds
- 5 Tips for not being a total douchebag elite traveler right now
- 7 Creative Ways to Travel When You Can’t Leave Your House
- 47 Best Travel Books of all time, the Ultimate List of Books to Read while Traveling
- How to Disinfect your Cell Phone, Laptop, iPad, Spouse, etc (Travel Tip Tuesday #13)