Microsoft Teams allows users to change their virtual backgrounds. The feature has proven very popular and is similar to virtual meeting competitor Zoom, which has a similar feature that has also been wildly popular. We’ve built a massive repository of free Microsoft Teams Backgrounds and explain how to change your Microsoft Teams Background.
We all go remote and virtual meeting tech like Zoom and Microsoft Teams become more important than ever
In a matter of weeks much of the white-collar global workforce moved to a work from home model. As a consequence, the use of virtual team meeting software skyrocketed. Zoom has been getting most of the press lately – both good and bad press – but Zoom isn’t the only game in town. Microsoft Teams is a major player in this space and has quietly been doing what Microsoft usually does: appeal to the corporate market who typically seeks stability, security, trustworthiness and ease of implementation.
Many of those same companies already have made sizable investments in Microsoft products including Office, Exchange, Windows, Sharepoint and more and the platform integrations between these products and Microsoft Teams was an easy sell.
Early on, Microsoft Teams lacked the ability to change backgrounds, and in the grand scheme of things this feature is not that important of a feature, but under the current work from home conditions it has become a significant bright spot for stressed and tired teams. And Zoom was crushing it.
Even Google Meet, a Zoom and Teams competitor, didn’t have this feature until recently (and as a Google user myself, this was super irritating). However, Microsoft finally brought this feature to market, delighting hordes of corporate employees across the globe.
Microsoft Teams Backgrounds are here (finally)
Last year, Microsoft announced a new feature that allows Microsoft Teams users to customize their backgrounds. Previously, Teams users had been able to blur their backgrounds which was marginally helpful, but this new capability allows users to replace their backgrounds with a different image they choose – just like Zoom.
Well, sort of. The currently released feature allows Microsoft Teams users to change their background to one of 24 preset images which are a variety of generic office backgrounds or some more creative ones. Currently, there is no supported way to change your background to a custom background. Unless you know how to hack the system…hehe.
As has been reported by a few outlets (including Practical365), there is a way to upload custom Microsoft Teams backgrounds into the system essentially giving you the ability to choose your own background. Undoubtedly, Microsoft will include a cleaner way of doing this at some point in the future, but for now, we have to cheat a little. But, don’t worry, it’s not that hard.
How do I change the background in Microsoft Teams?
To upload a custom Microsoft Teams background you need to the following:
- Open Windows Explorer
- Copy this address into the address bar: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Uploads
- In the Uploads folder, copy your custom Microsoft Teams Backgrounds into the folder
- Return to Microsoft Teams and change your background by navigating to Advanced Features | Show Background Effects
- Select your new custom Microsoft Teams Background…easy as pie.
Few important notes:
- Be sure to use higher resolution images – ideally 1920×1080 in size
- You will need the desktop version of Microsoft teams; the web or mobile version will not work here
- This only works on Microsoft Teams Version 1.3.00.8663+ (no support for tablets or mobile phones yet)
- For Mac users, use this address in your file system: ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams/Backgrounds
See…not that hard. Hopefully Microsoft makes it a little easier soon and I suspect they will. Users should be able to upload a custom picture themselves without having to navigate to the file system.
If you have a relatively solid and flat wall behind your desk you might be able to get away without having a green screen (see our green screen guide here). However, to get the most out of your virtual background experience you really need to invest in a green screen. Fortunately, they can be purchased for relatively affordable price. Here are a few options:
- Good Value: Ravelli 6’x10′ Chomakey Green Screen Background (Check Amazon Price)
- Most Creative: Removable Green Screen Solid Wallpaper (Check Amazon Price)
- Most Affordable: Redshop 160x200cm Non-Woven Fabric Backdrop (Check Amazon Price)
Ok, let’s get to the good stuff…the free Microsoft Teams Backgrounds.
Best Free Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
As noted, Microsoft Teams Backgrounds now allow folks to choose from a few default images including some generic offices as well some nature or other scenes. In our list of free Microsoft Teams backgrounds, we’ve amped everything up a bit. Specifically we have a list of the following custom Microsoft Backgrounds:
- Funny Teams Backgrounds
- Modern Office Microsoft Teams Backgrounds / Hipster Backgrounds
- Funny Microsoft Teams Backgrounds / Hilarious Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
- Travel Related Backgrounds for Microsoft Teams
- Cityscapes Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
- Nature Backgrounds for Microsoft Teams
- Festive Teams Backgrounds / Christmas Themed Teams Backgrounds
- Four Seasons Landscaping Company Virtual Background
- NEW: TV Show Themed Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
- NEW: Castle Themed Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
- NEW: Memorial Day Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
Most of these backgrounds can be downloaded directly (free of charge) from our repository. Others are links to popular Team’s backgrounds you can download.
Shameless plug: if you are looking for ideas on how to lead your team remotely and even have a little fun, check out 5 Virtual Team Building Ideas to keep things light & fun while working remote
Funny Pandemic Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
Here are several pandemic related Teams Backgrounds because who doesn’t want to a virus themed background on their next staff meeting?
Four Seasons Landscaping Company Virtual Background
You. Are. Welcome.
Memorial Day Teams Backgrounds
Memorial Day is an important day for remembrance. Help commemorate this solemn day with a free Microsoft Teams Background for Memorial Day.
TV Show Microsoft Teams Backgrounds / Movie Themed Teams Backgrounds
In what can only be termed a gesture of goodwill several TV and movie studies have offered clips or shots from their shows or movies to be used as Teams backgrounds. Here are a few popular ones.
Star Wars Teams Backgrounds
Why not show up in the Death Star to your next staff meeting. Your staff will get the point! Fortunately, the folks at StarWars.com were kind enough to make several Star Wars Microsoft Teams Backgrounds available for free download.
The Simpsons Team Backgrounds
Fox TV studios have made backgrounds for several of their popular TV shows available for download, including the Simpson! Grab Marge and the family and download a Simpsons Team Background for free here.
Pixar Studies Teams Backgrounds
Do you love Buzz and Woody? Not to worry, you can download a Toy Story Teams Background here. Thanks Disney!
The Office Teams Backgrounds
Thanks Jim and Pam! While it’s not many, you can download a few Office-themed backgrounds for Teams from Twitter thanks to the creative team behind NBC’s the office.
Modern Office Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
Hide your dumpy laundry room with a modern virtual background for Microsoft Team. Here are several great options.
Funny Microsoft Teams Backgrounds / Hilarious Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
Castle Themed Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
Why not have a majestic castle in the background? We’ve got you covered with several castle themed Teams backgrounds.
Travel Related Backgrounds for Microsoft Teams
Wish you were still traveling? We all do. We all do. However, to tide you over, here are several travel oriented Teams Background including an airport virtual background, airplane virtual background and more.
Cityscapes Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
Nature Backgrounds for Microsoft Teams
Festive Teams Backgrounds / Christmas Themed Teams Backgrounds
Christmas and the holidays are here! It’s time for some festive Microsoft Teams Backgrounds and we’ve got you covered. Here is our collection of Christmas Virtual Backgrounds for Microsoft Teams!
- Be sure to check out Free Zoom Backgrounds list as well
- Check out free Webex Backgrounds here
- Don’t forget Skype…we’ve got backgrounds for them too
Thanks, Stay Safe, and Wear Pants
Like many of us, you are probably struggling to find your new normal. Perhaps you’ve done that and are simply bored. We’ve got your back. Here’s a ton of recent content that revolves around what’s facing us today, including working from home ideas, what to watch, things to read, and how to avoid boredom. Enjoy.
- Hilarious Work from Home Memes that 100% accurate
- Best Work from Home Gifts
- The Workation and how to combine a vacation with work
- How to make your own Face Mask
- How to Disinfect your Cell Phone, Laptop, iPad, Spouse, etc (Travel Tip Tuesday #13)
- 11 Ways to Earn Cash from Home
- 17 Tips on Successfully Working from Home
- 7 Work from Home Accessories to Maximize Productivity
- 10 Books that have changed my life (and might change yours)
- 31 Funny Zoom Backgrounds
- Free Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
- How to keep yourself busy at home (31 things to do when you can’t travel)
- Practical advice for leading a team remotely during a crisis
- 5 Virtual Team Building Ideas to keep things light & fun while working remote
- Best Travel Thermometers
- Where to buy Face Masks for Travel
- Will Local Travel Lead the Way Back for the Travel Industry?
- 10 TV Shows from 2000-2010 worth rewatching while you are NOT traveling
- Best New Shows to Watch while NOT traveling (plus some deep cuts)
- Amazon Cinema is here to save us all: watch in-theater movies at home
- Amazon makes many kids shows free to help keep parents from losing their minds
- 7 Creative Ways to Travel When You Can’t Leave Your House
- 47 Best Travel Books of all time, the Ultimate List of Books to Read while Traveling
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable.