Advertiser Disclosure: CBoardingGroup has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. CBoardingGroup and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable. See our privacy & disclosure page for more info
Powerhouse rental property company Airbnb has teamed with visual search engine company Pinterest to create a guide for Pinners planning their next travel “experience.”
In a blog post published yesterday, followed by a press announcement released today, the guide is specifically designed to to help Pinterest users (aka Pinners) get inspired to take their next vacation.
A link to the guide is published at the end of this post.
Several visual search trends have emerged on the Pinterest platform and when overlaid with Airbnb Experiences data some interesting trends have emerged. Notably, experience-based adventure vacations have dramatically risen in popularity as have travel activities related to “space travel” “sustainable travel” and, of course, “budget travel.”
Visual search engine leader Pinterest aims to provide inspiration to its users for their next adventure. And of course, Airbnb wants you stay at one of their platforms and book one of their experience packages.
If you are not familiar with Airbnb’s Experiences, here’s a quick primer. As noted on Airbnb’s site, “Experiences are activities designed and led by inspiring locals. They go beyond typical tours or classes by immersing guests in each host’s unique world. It’s an opportunity for anyone to share their hobbies, skills, or expertise without needing an extra room.”
Or in other words, try something more unique than simply visiting a destination and doing touristy stuff.
For example, some of the Experiences currently listed on Airbnb include:
You get the picture. The Experiences packages have been quite successful as travelers look for new and exciting options for less ordinary travel.
With the unbridled success of Pinterest as a visual search engine (and their talks about an IPO this year) there is no doubting the tremendous rise of visual searchers. It’s only natural that they’d want to get a little more formally into the destination game.
Enter the partnership with Airbnb which notes:
“To help your readers master their 2019 spring and summer travel itinerary, Pinterest and Airbnb teamed up to reveal the hottest travel hacks and trends right now. Pinterest will spark inspiration and help you discover new places to go, while Airbnb will provide your home away from home for an unforgettable experience.”
They note a few interesting trends in their guide:
- “Pinterest users are inspired by nature this year, with searches for “nature travel” up +88%, and Airbnb guests are certainly feeling the same. Immersive outings — think forest bathing — are categories experiencing huge growth as some of Airbnb’s top trends for 2019
- “Pinterest and Airbnb are discovering more and more people are turning to the stars when it comes to travel planning, with searches for “space travel” +70% on Pinterest. And with nearly 3,000 homes equipped with telescopes and unique astro Experiences on Airbnb, the host community is embracing this astronomical trend, as well.
- “Adventure travel is continuing to rise on Pinterest and searches are up +693%. Pinners are searching for adventure-themed ideas for a thrill like swimming holes (+260%), abandoned amusement parks (+185%), cave diving(+143%) and surprise destinations(+192%). Airbnb is also seeing an increase in adventure and passion-based travel, particularly with surfing. In 2016, Airbnb joined up with the World Surf League to unlock 10,000 surfing Experiences across the globe.
- “Just the thought of taking a vacation can leave us already feeling “spring broke”. Pinners, however, are looking to keep their vacations practical with searches for “budget travel” +64%.
- “People want to minimize their carbon footprint and find ideas on how they can be eco-friendly, with searches on Pinterest for “sustainable travel” +56%. Airbnb is committed to promoting healthy tourism, by offering a large number of eco-friendly listings and below are some top sustainable destinations to plan your next trip around.” [Ref: Airbnb / Pinterest guide]
So, if you are planning your next vacation, or perhaps an interesting and unique experience for your employees, take a look at the guide, check out Airbnb’s Experiences page, and of course, start searching for some creative ideas on Pinterest.
Note: We were not compensated for this article nor participate in affiliate programs with Airbnb or Pinterest.
Did you like this article?
By the way, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips – the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 9 Healthy Travel Snacks – eat smarter on the road
- Ultimate Bitcoin Travel Directory: How and where to use crypto for travel
- 11 Best Hotel Beds – Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- 7 Habits of the Healthy Business Traveler: How to Stay Healthy While Traveling for Business
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler – the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- 9 Travel Safety Tips to help you stay safe on your next trip
- The Best Travel Gifts for Her – A Gift Guide for Women Who Love to Travel
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- How to get over jet lag while you travel – 11 Jet Lag Tips for every traveler