The Anker PowerCore 20100 – Ultra High Capacity Power Bank is a reliable and affordable portable power bank well suited for business and leisure travelers. In this Anker PowerCore 20100 Review we cover the ins and outs of this portable power bank and provide a buying recommendation.
The Anker PowerCore 20100 is one of six models of portable power banks in the Anker PowerCore Series. You can see all of them below in the comparison chart:
Anker PowerCore Review
In this Anker PowerCore 20100 Product Review we examine the portable charger from a variety of differently angles including the following:
- Why do you need an Anker Portable Charger
- Key Features
- How to Use
- Size & Dimensions
- How fast it recharges
- Investigation of Key Marking Claims
And we also offer a buy / no-buy recommendation and share where you can purchase the Anker PowerCore 20100.
Why do you need an Anker Portable Charger?
Sometimes you just don’t have a plug nearby. Maybe you are at the airport and the plugs are full with fellow travelers or maybe you on the plane itself and you forgot to charge your iPad before you boarded.
Or, as noted in this funny Anker video below, on a bus with a dying phone…haha.
A portable charger of any kind is a practical gadget to bring with you. I always carry one on my trips.
Key Features of the Anker PowerCore 20100
The Anker PowerCore 20100 claims to offer the best size to capacity ratio with it’s 7 days of battery life (when fully charged). As a new-ish member of the PowerCore series (which includes 6 portable power banks) it has several key features:
- “Ultra-High Capacity – Enough power to keep you going for days. Charge an iPhone 8 almost seven times, a Galaxy S8 five times or an iPad mini twice.
- High-speed Charging Technology – Exclusive to Anker, PowerIQ and VoltageBoost combine to ensure your devices charge at their their fastest possible charge speed. Does not support Qualcomm Quick Charge.
- Enormous 4.8A Output – Industry leading output of 4.8 amps provides enough power to simultaneously charge any combination of devices at full speed.
- MultiProtect Safety System – Surge protection, short circuit protection and more advanced safety features keep you and your devices safe.
- Matte Finish – Enhances grip and doesn’t leave smudges or fingerprints.
- World Famous Warranty – At Anker, we believe in our products. That’s why we back them all with an 18-month warranty and provide friendly, easy-to-reach support.”
Moreover, the Anker PowerCore 20100 provides two USB ports allowing for simultaneous charging of two devices.
When you purchase an Anker PowerCore 20100 you get the following items included with your purchase:
- PowerCore 20100 Portable Charger itself
- A Micro USB cable
- Travel Pouch (black) to store your Anker PowerCore20100 in safely
- A Welcome Guide
How to use the Anker PowerCore 20100
During our review of the Anker PowerCore 20100 we put it through its paces. As with most chargers it’s incredible simple to use. Plug and play, if you will.
You will most likely want to swap the shorter cable it comes with for a longer one (as I quickly did).
And you can throw the travel pouch away (I actually lost mine). The power bank is durable enough to where it’s not needed. And taking it and / out of the bag to charge it is a hassle…
The only thing worth really noting when using this powerbank is the 4 blue lights on the top of the device that indicate how much “charge” is left in the device. When you plug a device in the light illuminate and will flash depending on how much juice you have left (see below).
There are 4 lights and you can discern the charge reservoir in increments of 25%.
Finally, the device includes a micro USB slot to allow you to recharge your Anker PowerCore 20100.
Size & Dimensions of the Anker PowerCore 20100
The Anker PowerCore 20100 is fairly small, coming in at the following dimensions: 5.91 x 2.44 x 0.91 in (or roughly 6x3x1 in).
It weighs .71 lbs and you can get a sense of the scale using the pictures, below.
How fast does it recharge?
During our Anker PowerCore 20100 Review we examined how long it takes to recharge. According to the manufacturer’s claims it should take about 10+ hours to fully charge (when using a 2 amp charger). If you are using a 1 amp charger it could take twice as long.
We timed this and found it to be fairly accurate with occasional chargings on 2 amp chargers going a little faster (like 30 minutes) in some cases and a little slower (by an hour) in others.
If you are using a 1 amp charger you might thing somethings defective…because it takes so long.
Anker PowerCore 20100 Product Claims – investigated
- Portable – [Rated Mostly True] The Anker PowerCore 20100 claims to be portable, and it clearly is. Although, in my personal experience it was a bit longer than I’d have liked it and honestly it felt heavier than it’s .71 lbs.
- High-Speed Charging – [Rated True] The Anker PowerCore 20100’s core feature is its ability to charge VERY fast. During my review of the Anker PowerCore 20100, my personal experience was that this claim is 100% true. I have several Android devices and it charges them at a very rapid rate – far faster than any single wall-charger cable or any other portable charger I’ve ever used.
- Highly Durable – [Rated True] The Anker PowerCore 20100 claims to be highly durable and I’ve found this to be true. Having now owned this for over 9 months, and traveled extensively across the United States on regular business travel, it’s been my experience this thing is a beast. I’ve dropped it several times (or had it fall out of my bag) and noticed no degradation of performance.
- Universal Compatibility – [Rated True] – The Anker PowerCore 20100 claims to be universally compatible. Although the primary use of my The Anker PowerCore 20100 has been with my Android phones, my wife has Apple iPhone. It’s worked perfect for both phones without issue. I’ve also used it charge my headphones and other devices. I’ve even used it to charge another power bank and it worked great.
Anker PowerCore 20100 FAQs
Before we wrap up this Anker PowerCore 20100 review here are a few frequently asked questions about the device that our readers might find helpful:
- Can I take the Anker PowerCore 20100 on a plane? Yes, but it must be carried on, not checked. Here’s the TSA requirements for Lithium Batteries.
- Can I take the Anker PowerCore 20100 internationally? Yes, but make sure you bring an appropriate universal plug to use.
- How long will the Anker PowerCore 20100 hold a charge if not used? According to Anker the device may hold a charge for 20-36 months! They also recommend, however, to charge it at least ever 4 months to combat basic battery degradation chemistry.
Should I buy the Anker PowerCore 20100?
During this Anker PowerCore 20100 review I’ve examined the features, investigated the claims and shared some of my personal experiences. Here are some of the downsides I discovered along the way while using my Anker PowerCore 20100.
Anker PowerCore 20100 Negatives / Downsides
- Included cable was a bit short. The cable provided as part of the package was a bit shorter than I’d have liked it coming in around 18″ in length. Ideally a 24-36″ cable would be better suited for ease of plugging it into wall outlets. I ultimately switched it out to a longer one.
- Would have liked 2 cables. The Anker PowerCore 20100 offers two USB charging ports, but only provides 1 cable. Not a huge deal because cables are plentiful and cheap (which is also a good reason why Anker should just include two of them).
- Size and weight. In my opinion, the size was a bit disappointing. I’d have liked it to be a little shorter. The nearly 6″ occasionally makes it difficult to fit into the front pouch of my Ogio Metro Backpack depending on how full it is. Not insurmountable, but something around 5″ would be better. It also feels a little heavier than it is (.71 lbs).
- Travel pouch. The travel pouch is nice, but useless. I immediately lost mine. And I’ve not needed it. With as durable as the Anker PowerCore 20100 is the pouch is meaningless (I’d take another cable over a stupid pouch!).
- Does not Support Qualcomm Quick Charge. For those seeking this capability, the Anker PowerCore 201000 does not support Qualcomm’s Quick Charge capability.
My buying recommendation
Despite the downsides noted above, my review of the Anker PowerCore 20100 concludes that it’s a solid buy. The rapid charging combined with incredible battery life make this is a great addition to any serious traveler’s travel kit.
It’s also great for road trips where I will drop it into a cup holder and charge my phone while driving to see the grandparents or wherever we are heading.
Anker remains a leading provider in quality portable power bank technology and the Anker PowerCore 20100 delivers on it’s key promises. For it’s affordable price, it’s a can’t be missed piece of travel gear.
Where to buy the Anker PowerCore 20100
It can be purchased in 4 different colors including: Black, Red, Blue and White with the Black Anker PowerCore 20100 typically being the most affordable.
Final Thoughts on the Anker PowerCore 20100 Review
In this Anker PowerCore 20100 Review we covered the key features, size and dimensions, where to buy and provided a buy recommendation. As you consider adding the a new portable charger to your travel gear, we hope this Anker PowerCore 20100 Review was helpful in either narrowing down a selection or eliminating one.
Don’t forget to review all of our product reviews.
By the way, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might like these great articles:
- Product Review: OGIO Metro Backpack, The Business Traveler’s Backpack
- 147 Business Travel Tips – the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 9 Healthy Travel Snacks – eat smarter on the road
- Ultimate Bitcoin Travel Directory: How and where to use crypto for travel
- 11 Best Hotel Beds – Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- 7 Habits of the Healthy Business Traveler: How to Stay Healthy While Traveling for Business
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler – the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- 9 Travel Safety Tips to help you stay safe on your next trip
- The Best Travel Gifts for Her – A Gift Guide for Women Who Love to Travel
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- How to get over jet lag while you travel – 11 Jet Lag Tips for every traveler