The UK has passed new legislation that bans the gathering of two people from different households indoors together and the implication is that sex in your home with someone from another home is not allowed, effectively making sex outside of marriage temporarily illegal (for practical purposes anyway).
An amendment to the UK’s Health Protection Bill took effect on June 1st and provides some interesting guidance. It notes:
“No person may, without reasonable excuse, stay overnight at any place other than the place where they are living.”
Moreover, the law denotes that:
“…no person may participate in a gathering which takes place in a public or private place outdoors, and consists of more than six persons, or indoors, and consists of two or more persons.”
The bill further elucidates the definition of “reasonable excuse” giving a myriad of reasons why staying at someone else’s house might allowed including funerals, you are moving, legal obligations, work, live-in care, etc. Notably, it excludes coitus.
Many have taken to social media highlighting that new rule effectively bans the possibility of two consenting adults from staying the night at each other’s respective houses and presumably participating in the fullness of a relationship. Or even simply “gathering” together in groups of two, hence this idea that sex outside of your marriage (or household to be clear) is illegal.
Adam Wagner, the host of the BeHuman podcast has had his tweet on the subject (above) retweeted multiple times since posting it with the usual fare of concern, humor, outrage and jest. We are taking the humorous approach here at the CBoardingGroup…
Interestingly, some have suggested that while the law may effectively restrict indoor sex, outdoor sex is perfectly fine (assuming you comply with local decency laws, of course). Moreover, some have gone so far as to suggest a loophole exists in that the use of an escort would potentially be acceptable given it could be construed that such service would be in the fulfillment of work-related activities. Leave it to a lawyer (er, barrister) to find the hooker loophole.
Violators will be fined 100 pounds which could be reduced if paid most haste.
We wonder if this a direct response to that what-his-name-fella who kept sneaking out to see his mistress and catching all the press. Probably.
We find all of this amusing…silly Brits. On the plus side, we needed a good laugh here after what’s been a rough week here in the States.
To be clear: we are not lawyers and not offering a legal interpretation of any of this silliness. In fact, we are also Americans so what do we know about British law. But, it is kinda funny still.
If you’d like to read a more serious telling of this story here’s a few options:
- Coronavirus: New lockdown laws in England make it illegal for couples living apart to have sex indoors
- Coronavirus: Sex during lockdown with someone outside your household is illegal from today
Like many of us, you are probably struggling to find your new normal. Perhaps you’ve done that and are simply bored. We’ve got your back. Here’s a ton of recent content that revolves around what’s facing us today, including working from home ideas, what to watch, things to read, and how to avoid boredom. Enjoy.
- Hilarious Work from Home Memes that 100% accurate
- Best Work from Home Gifts
- The Workation and how to combine a vacation with work
- How to make your own Face Mask
- How to Disinfect your Cell Phone, Laptop, iPad, Spouse, etc (Travel Tip Tuesday #13)
- 11 Ways to Earn Cash from Home
- 17 Tips on Successfully Working from Home
- 7 Work from Home Accessories to Maximize Productivity
- 10 Books that have changed my life (and might change yours)
- 31 Funny Zoom Backgrounds
- Free Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
- How to keep yourself busy at home (31 things to do when you can’t travel)
- Practical advice for leading a team remotely during a crisis
- 5 Virtual Team Building Ideas to keep things light & fun while working remote
- Best Travel Thermometers
- Where to buy Face Masks for Travel
- Will Local Travel Lead the Way Back for the Travel Industry?
- 10 TV Shows from 2000-2010 worth rewatching while you are NOT traveling
- Best New Shows to Watch while NOT traveling (plus some deep cuts)
- Amazon Cinema is here to save us all: watch in-theater movies at home
- Amazon makes many kids shows free to help keep parents from losing their minds
- 7 Creative Ways to Travel When You Can’t Leave Your House
- 47 Best Travel Books of all time, the Ultimate List of Books to Read while Traveling