Advertiser Disclosure: CBoardingGroup has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. CBoardingGroup and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable. See our privacy & disclosure page for more info
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey has announced a runway closure for John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK). Runway 13L-31R, one of the four runways typically used at JFK each day, will be closed for maintenance.
Apparently the runway is being widened by 33% and repaved. The project was awarded in late 2018 to the tune of $355 million dollars.
According to the Port Authority, once the widening is completed, the runway will be safer and more durable. As part of the effort, new signs, lighting and other navigational aides will be installed.
Moreover, construction officials are building a concrete runway instead of an asphalt runway which will extend the life expectancy of the runway by 400% or so.
As to how this will affect daily traffic, there is clearly concern. The press release notes:
“The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has developed a strategic plan to manage aircraft traffic while Runway 13L is closed. The FAA is studying runway configuration, aircraft traffic flow rates and aircraft traffic management strategies to maximize efficiency and reduce delays at JFK.
During the next eight months, the Port Authority will have the Airport Operations Center (AOC) open around the clock as the focal point for communications between terminal operators, airlines, air traffic control, Customs & Border Protection and the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
Performance metrics will be monitored continuously, including arrival, departure and taxi times. Adjustments will be made to reduce delay and protect the customer experience.”
Delta, a huge JFK tenant, also acknowledged the runway closure in a posting yesterday by a staffer.
The closure will last until November 2019.
You can read the full Port Authority Press Release, here.
For more travel related news, check out our travel news section.
By the way, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips – the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 9 Healthy Travel Snacks – eat smarter on the road
- Ultimate Bitcoin Travel Directory: How and where to use crypto for travel
- 11 Best Hotel Beds – Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- 7 Habits of the Healthy Business Traveler: How to Stay Healthy While Traveling for Business
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler – the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- 9 Travel Safety Tips to help you stay safe on your next trip
- The Best Travel Gifts for Her – A Gift Guide for Women Who Love to Travel
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- How to get over jet lag while you travel – 11 Jet Lag Tips for every traveler