In a strange story, a man purchased a ghost town only to be stuck there after both the COVID-19 crisis and a severe snowstorm struck simultaneously. Insider first reported that that Austin resident Brett Underwood has been living in his own private abandoned mining town after becoming stuck there following the combination of statewide stay-at-home orders and a nasty snowstorm.
Cerro Gordo was once a thriving silver mining town from the late 1800’s. Like many mining towns it was eventually abandoned, laying dormant for years save one caretaker who lived in the town. Apparently Underwood had plans for an tourist attraction / Airbnb style establishment and has spent over $400k already on the property.
As the coronavirus outbreak began to get more serious, the caretaker left the town to look after his wife.
Underwood, on a whim, jumped in his truck and drove to the Northern California town to take over. Then the storm hit, dropping something like 4 feet of snow on the area and effectively trapping Underwood there.
Underwood has been living in a building with no running water and living on expired beans. He’s also been giving interviews (as noted by the Insider story) and appears to be in good spirits overall.
Thanks and stay safe
Like many of us, you are probably struggling to find your new normal. Perhaps you’ve done that and are simply bored. We’ve got your back. Here’s a ton of recent content that revolves around what’s facing us today, including working from home ideas, what to watch, things to read, and how to avoid boredom. Enjoy.
- Hilarious Work from Home Memes that 100% accurate
- Best Work from Home Gifts
- The Workation and how to combine a vacation with work
- How to make your own Face Mask
- How to Disinfect your Cell Phone, Laptop, iPad, Spouse, etc (Travel Tip Tuesday #13)
- 11 Ways to Earn Cash from Home
- 17 Tips on Successfully Working from Home
- 7 Work from Home Accessories to Maximize Productivity
- 10 Books that have changed my life (and might change yours)
- 31 Funny Zoom Backgrounds
- How to WFH without losing your mind – WFH self care tips!
- Free Google Meet Backgrounds
- Virtual Meeting Etiquette – you need to read this
- Upgrade a home office for under $50
- Free Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
- How to keep yourself busy at home (31 things to do when you can’t travel)
- Practical advice for leading a team remotely during a crisis
- 5 Virtual Team Building Ideas to keep things light & fun while working remote
- Best Travel Thermometers
- Where to buy Face Masks for Travel
- 7 Creative Ways to Travel When You Can’t Leave Your House
- 47 Best Travel Books of all time, the Ultimate List of Books to Read while Traveling
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable.