The sun kissed hamlet of Carlsbad, California is a must-visit destination. This seaside location is home to Legoland, sandy beaches and unreasonably pleasant weather. Here are 3 unique things to do in Carlsbad, California on your next visit.
Unique Things to do in Carlsbad California
Carlsbad, California is located in the North County portion of San Diego County. It sits between Oceanside and Encinitas and offers visitors a variety of unique experiences and things to do. Home to the world’s first modern skatepark the area holds roots with the casual skater and surfer vibe SOCAL is often known for.
However, these days, the town is less surfer and more of a family-oriented destination with its expansive and accessible beaches and the ever-popular Legoland California. With an average of 266 sunny days each year and the famed SOCAL weather, Carlsbad is a popular year-round destination for vacationers.
To wet your whistle check out this livecam view of Carlsbad here
Rent water toys for a fun day on the Aqua Hedionda Lagoon
For visitors looking to do something a little different than a day at the beach, California Watersports is a great place to mix it up. This water toy rental company rents jet skis, paddleboards, paddleboats, small boats and a variety of other fun water-themed toys. Guests can enjoy bounce houses, rent kayaks and even a pontoon boat. Visitors are guaranteed to have a blast.
Carlsbad Village Scavenger Hunt Walking Tour
Stretch your legs by embarking on the Carlsbad Village scavenger hunt which takes you on a curated walking tour among the many quaint shops, cute eateries and easygoing vibe that is the Carlsbad Village.
Using an app on your phone, visitors will pass by several important Carlsbad locations (including the Carlsbad Mineral Spa), learn their history, and enjoy the beautiful weather this hamlet is known for.
Book your scavenger hunt tour here.
Fly in a biplane over the coast
Carlsbad is home to the Palomar Airport, a small commercial and private airport. However, the Fun Flights company is also based there where thrill seeking visitors are treated to open cockpit biplane rides up and down the coast.
Wow. Wow. Wow.
One of the more unique things to do in Carlsbad, this adventure is not for the faint of heart or the queasy stomach.
Other fun things to do in Carlsbad, CA
If you are looking for more ideas to fill out your Carlsbad activities list, here are several more fun things to do in Carlsbad, CA.
- The Leo Carrillo Ranch Historic Park is a great place for a picnic infused with some history. Pack and lunch, watch the peacocks that roam free on the ranch and tour the infamous Carillo Ranch.
- Legoland remains a great destination for families. Reasonably priced (when compared to other theme parks), Legoland has something for everyone and is a great spot to spend a sunny Southern California day.
- The picturesque flower fields of Carlsbad are a must-see stop on any Carlsbad trip. A great photo op and a lovely place to take someone special when the flowers are blooming, it’s incredible to have so much land still undeveloped in a seaside town like Carlsbad.
- See the glittering jewels housed in the Gemological Institute of America Museum. The GIA is a world-renowned museum that houses some of the most amazing diamonds and pearls in the world. In addition to seeing stones displayed in unique ways, visitors can learn more about the jewel industry and gemology in general.
- Learn how to surf by taking some surfing lessons at this popular surfer destination. You’ll be hanging ten in no time.
Final Thoughts on Carlsbad, CA
Carlsbad California is one of the many amazing Southern California towns that dot the California coast. While it may lack some of the charms of a boutique destination like Cardiff by the Sea or the surfer vibe of Encinitas, Carlsbad is a clean, friendly, accessible and extremely pleasant place to visit on a San Diego area vacation. Be sure to add this lovely town to your next SOCAL vacation bucket list.
Be sure to check out all the great destinations in our “Unique Things to Do” Series and take a step out of the ordinary on your next trip.
- Unique Things to do in Encinitas, CA
- Unique Things to do in St George, UT
- Unique Things to do in Grand Rapids, MI
- Unique Things to do in Midway, UT
- Unique Things to do in Key West, FL
- Unique Things to do in Youngstown, OH
- Unique Things to do in Merida, Mexico
- Unique Things to do in Cedar City, UT
- Unique Things to do in Bloomington, IN
- Unique Things to do in Las Vegas, NV
- Unique Things to do in Eugene, OR
- Unique Things to in Cancun, Mexico
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable.