A traveler shared an image to Reddit that has divided the internet. In the now-viral image, a woman’s hair is draped over the back of her seat. The passenger seated behind her snapped a picture with the caption: my view for most of my 3-hour flight. You make the call: trashy or not?
We’ve all sat near or next to other travelers who were completely self-absorbed and unaware of their actions/surroundings. From people watching a show on their iPhone without headphones, folks bleeding into your seat, or folks who don’t understand the “middle-seat-gets-the-armrests” rule. Or worse, people clipping their fingernails or toenails, picking their nose, not wearing their masks properly (thank god that’s not a thing anymore), and worse.
But one traveler snapped a photo of a recent flight he/she was on that featured the person in front of them draping their hair over the seatback and into this traveler’s personal space. Here’s the photo that /dashb0y posted in the /trashy subreddit:
So, our question to our readers is what do you think? Trashy? Or nah? Wildly inappropriate? Or no big deal?
Commenters on the post had lots to say. Some of the highlights include:
- “I know, why do these people not say something. I wouldn’t put up with it.” (Street_Peace_8831)
- “Fake sneeze in it. Problem solved.” (stumblerman)
- “My line of thinking would be if they’re a big enough asshole to do it in the first place they’ll probably have a really bad reaction if you ask them to move it.” (Alamander81)
- “Excuse me, what kind of shampoo do you use? I just can’t stop smelling your hair.” (urbanlife78)
- “Put chewing gum in it” (Gurkeprinsen)
- “There may be some people who are just oblivious to the fact that it’s bothering the person behind them. I see a lot more people that are inconsiderate than outright malicious. I’d ask them to not do it and then judge the situation but their reaction. Far too often in society I think we make assumptions of people’s motives when the fact is we don’t know what’s going on in another person’s head” (ginger260)
So, how about you? What’s your take on how this traveler should have handled this situation?
that happened to me once. I “accidentally” pulled there hair while trying to access the seat back storage area where their hair was.
Don’t know that I’d use the term trashy…but it certainly is inconsiderate and perhaps entitled. I would definitely first ask her to remove it but if she would not, then it is time to bring it to the FA’s attention. I certainly would not stand for it to continue.
I would ask politely, “Would you move your hair so I can watch TV?” If they didn’t, I’d yank it. Seriously. If I had the nerve, I’d use my small-sized-carryon-approved scissors.
Now, if I didn’t need to watch TV, I’d ignore it.
Excuse me, there are bugs crawling around in your hair, could you move it?
A good solid knee into her seat back usually solves the problem
Style it your way.
Trash with a capitol “T”.. most likely another privileged 20-30 something person who has nothing in their existence to think about or to live for except themselves . Sadly , this is not surprising to see …