The historic city of Athens is a bucket list destination worthy of a lengthy visit. This ancient destination mixes history, culture, food, and fun and is well worth your time. Here are 3 unique things to do in Athens Greece.
We recently journeyed to Athens for the first time and found the ancient city to be everything it was claimed to be. Despite unusually hot weather, the city was vibrant with activity, completely open, and worth every penny we spent on making the journey. While we visited many parts of Athens, including the main tourist destinations, we also ventured into less popular areas – getting the full experience. Here’s our list of unique things to do in Athens.
Unique Things to do in Athens Greece
The unofficial birthplace of democracy, philosophy and souvlaki, Greece remains a popular destination for travelers. The bustling city manages to keep its old-world charm despite now being a modern metropolis and there are an abundance of great things to do in this ancient city. We’ve simplified them for you, and identified the 3 most unique things to do in Athens Greece.
This ancient city district is located at the base of the Acropolis and is one of the oldest parts of Athens. Narrow stone-lined streets, brightly colored buildings, amazing eats, and friendly vendors make this a must-see part of your Athens visit.
The area has been continuously inhabited since ancient times and teems with life, noise, architecture, color and culture.
Wind your way down the narrow streets with no firm plan to get the best experience. Simply see where what you find. Dine on amazing food, shop kitchy items to high-end items as shops are intermingled among the galleries, museums and food shops in this district.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. We may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable. Click here to read our privacy & disclosure page.
Visit the Acropolis & Parthenon
One might think visiting the Acropolis and its main attraction, the Parthenon, as a non-unique thing to do in Athens, but they’d be wrong. Still the highlight of any first-time visit to Athens, these ancient ruins demand to be seen and are worth the time to see at least once.
Last day pic.twitter.com/QbPAcxaRbKâ€” CBoardingGroup: Travel | Remote Work | Gear (@CBoardinggroup) August 8, 2021
If you can, visit in earlier in the day or later in the evening to beat the heat and get better lighting for photos. It will be busy, but again, this site is truly a once-in-a-lifetime place to visit and is instantaneously and uniquely known around the world. You will be disappointed if you don’t go.
Rent a cabana at Astir Beach
The exclusive beach resort limits its guest to no more than a thousand and charges a fee to get in which keeps the crowds small and fun hopping. Just south of Athens (an easy taxi ride) the Astir Beach club (located in what is sometimes called the Greek Riviera) and resort is a high-end beach experience that offers guests great eats, fun drinks, cool water and the chance to relax and enjoy a day at the beach. Rent an umbrella or cabana for the day and make some memories.
Additional Things to Do in Athens
For travelers looking for even more things to do in Athens here’s a short list of additional ideas:
- Visiting the Acropolis and Parthenon is obviously the preeminent thing to do in Athens, but don’t forget to spend some time at the Acropolis museum – a truly amazing museum that digs deeper into the history and artifacts of this architectural and cultural marvel.
- Visit the National Gallery Art Museum and experience Greek art from a variety of time periods including current modern artists.
- War Museum – learn about the fierce Greek Army and its military history with a visit to the national war museum.
- Grab a drink in the Galaxy Bar on top of the Athens Hilton. This bar has amazing views, great drinks and a fun vibe. A great way to ease into a fun night by watching the sunset on the Parthenon before venturing out for more excitement.
Visiting Athens: final thoughts
Athens is a must-see for your travel bucket list. The area is steeped in antiquity but offers so much more than just ancient buildings. From amazing food to a vibrant nightlife and beach scene to excellent shopping and so much more Athens is definitely worth making time to see. Happy traveling and don’t forget to share your pictures with us!
Be sure to check out all the great destinations in our â€œUnique Things to Doâ€ Series and take a step out of the ordinary on your next trip.
- Unique Things to do in St George, UT
- Unique Things to do in Grand Rapids, MI
- Unique Things to do in Del Mar, CA
- Unique Things to do in Nashville, TN
- Unique Things to do in Midway, UT
- Unique Things to do in Key West, FL
- Unique Things to do in Youngstown, OH
- Unique Things to do in Merida, Mexico
- Unique Things to do in Cedar City, UT
- Unique Things to do in Bloomington, IN
- Unique Things to do in Las Vegas, NV
- Unique Things to do in Eugene, OR
- Unique Things to in Cancun, Mexico