With enough time in the air or in hotels, you’re bound to run into some famous or famous-ish people. And while my list is actually pretty short, that’s probably because I am not paying too much attention to that sort of thing and I fly Southwest a lot…not a lot of celebs on Southwest. That said…here’s my list:
- Anthony Bourdain. Flight from LGA to SAN. He got my upgrade…ugh. Seemed like a nice guy.
- Jonathan Davis. Lead Singer of Korn (and his wife who recently died). Kind of a funny story here. I was staying at nicer Hampton Inn near the Brooklyn Bridge. There was some sort of “Free Concert” being setup down the street near the water. The place was a buzz. I didn’t know who was playing there and really wasn’t interested. I had NY Pizza on my mind. Anyway, as I was heading down the elevator it stopped on a floor and a group of “rock and roll” looking people came on. A big party. I didn’t recognize anyone, but they were clearly heading to the show. I asked them if they were heading over and they said yes. They were pretty nice folks. I told them to enjoy the show. When we arrived in the lobby we all exited to a crowd of fans clearly not there to see me. I then realized it was Mr Davis and Korn was playing. I am NOT a fan of Korn at all (although I love rock). My best friend on the other hand is a HUGE fan of Korn. I shared the story w/ him…he was beside himself at the fact I didn’t realize who it was.
- Jimmy Fallon. JFK airport. He realized he’d been recognized and did a 180.
- The Business Manager for Insane Clown Posse. This is under the “famous-ish / weird” category. Sat next to the nicest guy in the world…almost an accountant type guy who did something business related for the weirdest band in the world.
- Steven Tyler. Security line in New Orleans. He’s so tiny and old and was wearing chick jeans.
- Jack White. Delta flight from Nashville to Los Angeles. Same flight as Trace Adkins.
- Trace Adkins. Same flight as Jack White. Sat down next to me at the gate, but he had a cold and looked tired. I left him alone.
- Jamey Johnson – Country Musician. Marine. Flight from LAS to BNA.
- Tom Smith. Author of the Oz Principle book. Not sure if this counts as “famous” but he was a really nice guy. Like really nice.
And now that I see the entire list…I realize that ONLY 1 of them (The Marine!) was on a Southwest flight. They were all Delta. LOL.
Who’ve you met while traveling?