Looking for some delicious and healthy travel snacks? Look no further! Here’s a list of 9 healthy travel snacks that are not only incredibly tasty, but also healthy!
If you travel on a regular basis, you are bound to get hungry on the plane or late at night in your hotel! And many times the options at the airport are either chock full of unneeded calories (and unhealthy ingredients!) or it’s too darned expensive (I just want some hummus…I did not want to refinance my house to afford it!).
Eating healthy while traveling is critical though and that applies to snacking too. In fact, WebMD notes that importance of avoiding food mistakes – and that applies to travel too!
That’s why we’ve put this list of healthy travel snacks together. Hopefully it inspires you to travel just a little healthier when it comes to your travel snack attacks!
Healthy Travel Snacks for the Plane
In this article we share the following travel food or travel snack related details:
- Healthy Travel Snacks for the Plane
- Buying Healthy Travel Snacks in Bulk
- Homemade travel snacks
- Travel Snacks for Kids
- How to Pack Travel Snacks
- What snacks are good for travel?
- What snacks to bring on a trip?
- And for fun, some unhealthy travel snacks! (Yay!)
One of the drawbacks to many health foods (or at least the perception) is that they don’t taste as good at their less healthier friends. There’s maybe some truth to that (broccoli vs. Doritos anyone? Rest my case) but we have built our list of healthier travel snack items with an emphasis on healthy AND tasty.
PS…I’ve included short product descriptions from each of the healthy travel snacks to save you a little time before deciding if you want to make that leap.
What snacks are good for travel?
The best snacks for travel are simple, healthy and portable. Here’s a list of snacks good for travel.
- Pretzel Crisps
- SunRype Natural Fruit Bar
- Kind Bars
- Chickpea Puffs
- Beef Jerky
- Dried Mangos
- Honey Sticks
- Simple Squares Health Bars
- Kashii Bars
See the detailed list below including links and descriptions of the great travel snacks.
Healthy Travel Snacks #1: Pretzel Crisps
Pretzel Crisps – by Snack Factory
Pretzel Crisps are an outstanding snack for traveling. They are easy to carry, affordable and best of all, they taste delicious. And pretty healthy, all things considered, for healthy travel food anyway.
“Our original line of deli-inspired Snack Factory Pretzel Crisps give you that satisfying, hearty crunch in a versatile shape that’s dippable, spreadable, and deliciously snackable. With great gourmet taste from wholesome ingredients, it’s the perfect snack anytime!”
Healthy Travel Food #2: SunRype Natural Fruit Bar, Apple + Strawberry Fruitsource
SunRype Natural Fruit Bar, Apple + Strawberry Fruitsource
The SunRype Natural Fruit Bar is a delicious bar that’s perfect for travel.
- “Thick and Tasty 100% Fruit Bar with all natural ingredients and no added processed sugar
- NO artificial colors, flavors or preservatives so they taste great and they are good for you too
- Naturally Gluten Free Snack Bar
- Peanut Free and Allergy Friendly Grab and Go Bar
- Naturally Vegan and Certified Kosher Bar“
Healthy Travel Food for the Plane #3: Kind Bars
Kind Bars have been putting out delicious and healthy snacks for years. Grab a few to add your healthy travel snack kit and munch away.
“A healthy blend of 5 super grains coated in cocoa and soft baked with dark chocolate chunks for a snack with 5g of sugar per bar.Â 100% Whole Grains including 5 Super Grains: Oats, Millet, Buckwheat, Amaranth, Quinoa.Â Gluten free, No Genetically Modified Ingredients, 0g Trans Fat, Kosher.”
Healthy Travel Snack #4: Chickpea Puffs
Hippeas Organic Chickpea Puffs
I had to include the entire product description for this healthy travel food because it’s so darn good. I love the marketing vibe and more importantly I love the snack. The Bohemian Barbecue is my favorite, but they all taste delicious.
“GOOD FOR YOU – HIPPEAS Organic Chickpea Puffs are USDA Certified Organic, Certified Gluten-Free, Vegan, Non-GMO, and Kosher. HIPPEAS contain No Peanuts, Tree Nuts or Soy and have 3 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein per 1-ounce serving.
GOOD VIBES – HIPPEAS light and crunchy puffs are the new go-to snack for those who demand great taste and high-quality ingredients.
GOOD FOR THE EARTH â Did you know Chickpea plants naturally release nitrogen back into the earth as they grow? Theyâre good for the planet, simply by being themselves.
PEAS, LOVE & GIVING BACK – HIPPEAS believes that âtastes goodâ and âdo goodâ should go hand in hand. Thatâs why we give back to local charities”
Healthy Travel Snack #5: Chomps Grass Fed Beef Jerky
I love beef jerky. Frankly, it’s a perfect healthy travel food – if you get the right kind. The folks Chomps have dialed that down nicely for you. Tasty and healthy. One of my favorite healthy travel snacks right here!
“DELICIOUS PROTEIN SNACK – Each individually wrapped stick packs 9g of protein that is low in sodium, fat, and only 100 calories. This makes for a healthy snack that is natural and also carb, gluten, and artificial preservatives free. With CHOMPS, you can enjoy a single serving of meat that’s low in salt, has no fillers (including pork) and zero hidden nasties, such as binders, nitrates, nitrites, MSG, or artificial coloring
GREAT FOR ANY DIET – Whether you’re on Whole30, Paleo, Ketogenic, or the “watching what food I eat” diet, CHOMPS is a delicious and nutritious snack you can chew on with no heavy guilt. Not to mention, it also spices up your favorite foods. Shred up some pieces or strips of CHOMPS and pepper it onto salads, tacos, and just about any meal for a slightly spicy, slightly smoky kick
THE HEALTHY NATURAL CHOICE – CHOMPS features sustainably sourced select meats with 100% non-GMO ingredients, including grass-fed and grass finished non-GMO beef. CHOMPS is also the first, shelf stable meat snack brand to be Non-GMO Project Verified, Certified Paleo, Certified Gluten Free, and Whole30 approved”
Healthy Travel Snacks #6: Nature’s All Organic Dried Mangos
Nature’s All – Organic Dried Mangos
Mmmmmmm……Mangoes. We love mangoes. And these dried mangoes are insanely tasty and healthy. We highly recommend grabbing these for a good healthy travel snack. Your kids will even like ’em.
“100% Organic â All of Natierraâs Freeze-Dried products are 100% organic and for good reason; we believe that organic food is better. Whether youâre using it in a trail mix or enjoying the crunch on its own, youâll feel better knowing itâs 100% organic
No Sugar Added â Why add sugar when the real thing already tastes great? Here at Natierra, we believe in giving you the product that nature intended which is why we never add any unnecessary sugar to the already-tasty treats
Great Snack â In todayâs busy world, itâs important to have a go-to healthy snack and Natierra should be your first option. Perfect for the desk drawer or inside your kidâs lunch box, a healthy snack is just a crunch away!”
Healthy Travel Snack #7: Simple Squares Bars
Perfect healthy travel breakfast option here. Sometimes you just don’t have the time to grab a good breakfast before you head to the airport. The simple bars here are the perfect healthy travel food to solve that problem. Plus they are pretty darn tasty!
“PERFECT PLANT-BASED SUPERFOOD FOR THOSE ON A SPECIAL DIET: These Paleo snacks contain premium ingredients that fight inflammation and are safe for the regulated diets of people with diabetes or high-blood pressure. Simple Squares can serve as meal replacement bars perfect for people active in CrossFit, workouts, and travel.
WHOLE 30 FAST AND EASY STARTS WITH ONE SIMPLE PROTEIN BAR: These on-the-go, nutrition bars have very low carb content and are jam-packed with powerhouse herbs and spices, containing only real and raw herbs, compounds, and spices that Mother Nature provides.
TASTY AND CHEWY HEALTHY SNACKS FOR ADULTS: These protein snacks are so healthy that they also function as meal replacement bars. Simple Squares are available in 5 flavors: cinammon, coffee, ginger, chocolate, and coconut. These keto bars will keep you full and satiated that it banishes cravings for unhealthy snacks!”
Healthy Travel Snack #8: Stakich Honey Sticks
Honey’s a bit of an odd addition to this list – the risk of sticky yuckiness during travel and all. But these little fellas have got the right delivery system. Try it out at home first before you lug it into your first class airline seat and smear it all over the tray table.
- “100% Pure, Unfiltered U.S. Grade A Clover Honey
- Healthy Energy – Only 15 Calories per Stick! Our Kosher Certified Honey is a 100% Natural, Whole Food
- No Preservatives, Additives, or Colors – BPA Free – Good Source of Vitamins & Minerals
- No Mess Packaging – Easy to Open – Excellent for Kids, Travel, Hiking, Outdoors“
Healthy Travel Snack #9: Kashi Ripe Strawberry Bar
So good. So very good. Sometimes with Strawberry food items you run the risk of them being too sweet. Not so here. They are just the right balance! Absolutely tasty and a great healthy travel food item!
“A tasty whole grain and fruit snack bar, Kashi Soft-Baked Bars are an ideal quick breakfast treat and anytime pick-me-up at home or on-the-go
A delicious breakfast bar made with a filling made with sweet strawberry, Kashi Seven Whole Grain Flour, rolled oats, and a touch of honey
Good source of fiber (contains 3 g total fat per serving); Kosher Dairy; Non-GMO Project Verified
A travel-ready food; Makes a tasty snack at work or school, post-workout bite, or late-night treat; Stow in lunchboxes, totes, and backpacks”
Buying Healthy Travel Snacks in Bulk
As a bonus, I’ve provided a couple of healthy travel snack bundles that Amazon has put together. Buying in bulk can save you money, and these interesting packages aggregate some great brands into a single transaction. Worth a peak!
Healthy Snack Bars To Go Box (45 count)
Healthy Snacks To Go Box (30 count)
Homemade travel snacks (plus travel snacks to avoid)
Another option for travelers looking to eat a little healthier in the snack department is to pack and bring your own homemade snacks. You need to be a little careful about this as it may not make sense for many business travelers (a big focus here at the CBoardingGroup) because of time or hassle, but it certainly is still an option.
If that’s how you roll, here’s a few ideas:
- Apple slices (cheap and easy – especially if you get them pre-cut)
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches
- Pretzels (buy a big bag to save money then store in baggies)
- Peanuts or Trail Mix (buy in bulk and then bring baggies)
- Dried fruit (apricots are one of my favs here)
- Homemade granola bars
- Dried oatmeal (I personally don’t like this, but I’ve seen fellow travelers doing it…they just have the FA bring them a cup of hot water)
- Cup O’ Noodles…same as above (again, a pass for me, but I’ve seen it done)
- Popcorn! Oh how I love popcorn! That said, it doesn’t travel well IF it’s really buttery. If you go with something less buttery you will be fine…just don’t stink up the cabin please
I recommend you avoid things like chips which can get crushed easily in a bag. Speaking of things to avoid, on behalf of all the rest of us fellow travelers here are some travel snacks to avoid bringing on a plane:
- Anything smelly (fish…pizza…spicy foods…beef jerky can be dangerous here too…)
- Things that need to be refrigerated. We aren’t against this kind of food…it just means you are probably bringing a cooler with you and well…we like to travel light!
- Eggs – particularly hard boiled or pickled. They don’t keep well, and are stinky and maybe messy.
- Onions / Garlic / Scallions. Yeah…nuff said
Travel Snacks for Kids
When traveling with kids they get hungry and shopping for airport food can be expensive. Hence why parents often bring travel snacks for kids with them instead of dropping 40 bux at the store. Here’s a few kid friendly travel snacks to consider:
- Fruit (apples, bananas, grapes, etc). Be careful with juicy or sticky fruits (like oranges or fruit cups as they can be spilled or get all over the place makingÂ your journey a little less fun)
- Fruit Strips / Fruit Leather – we love this travel snack for kids. Healthy and tasty. Might throw in a few of dad too…
- Favorite crunchy snack – e.g. pretzels or goldfish
- Animal crackers – always a sure fire winner…and they hold up pretty well during travel
Here’s a great video that might help you think about how to pack kids travel snacks:
All of that said…don’t forget to consider the fun aspect of traveling. Buying a pack of (pricey) M&Ms at the airport store can be FUN so don’t be afraid to mix it up a bit.
How to Pack Travel Snacks
The next question folks often have (after answering the “what should I bring” question) is how to pack travel snacks. We recommend keeping it simple. Assuming you are NOT traveling with kids (and thus traveling a little lighter) we opt for simple baggies or maybe a small tupperware container. No need to overthink it.
If you ARE traveling with kids then you are likely NOT traveling light…so you might as well think about a travel sized cooler.
And for fun, some unhealthy travel snacks! (Yay!)
I would be remiss if I didn’t drop some tasty unhealthy travel snacks on ya. Sorry…not sorry. Here’s a few fun ones (and we recommend you be careful with chocolate):
- Chex Mix
- Dollar store candy (e.g. some sour patch kids or licorice)
- Pringles (the hard case makes them travel a little easier
- Cookies (e.g. homemade to save money, or small snack bags of Oreos or Nutter Butters work great)
What’s your favorite guilty pleasure travel snack?
My final thoughts on healthy travel snacks
I hope you’ve enjoyed this list of healthy travel snacks! If you are like me you know how darned difficult it is to eat healthy when you travel.
It’s also incredibly hard to find time to workout, hydrate and more. That’s why I wrote The 7 Habits of the Healthy Business Traveler: How to Stay Healthy While Traveling (for business or pleasure!).
Don’t forget to follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
And, of course, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips â the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 11 Best Hotel Beds â Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- Top Travel Pillows â the best travel pillows for 2019
- Whatâs a young driver fee & whatâs the best under 25 Car Rental Company?
- Product Review: OGIO Metro Backpack, The Business Travelerâs Backpack
- Ultimate Bitcoin Travel Directory: How and where to use crypto for travel
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler â the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- How to get over jet lag while you travel â 11 Jet Lag Tips for every traveler
- The Mileage Run â A Frequent Flyer Travel Hack You Need to Know
- Best Travel Drone – compare and contrast the top rated drones for travel
- Anker PowerCore 20100 Review â Should I buy?
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable.
Love this. If anyone wants to explore more in relation to this – look no further than @embersnacks.com