Messy office? Use a Skype Background to hide it. We’ve assembled a collection of free Skype Backgrounds you can use on your next Skype virtual meeting!
Virtual Meetings are now a part of many employee’s daily lives. As huge swaths of employees have moved to an almost completely work-from-home model, new problems and challenges have emerged. Namely, many folks didn’t have a properly set up home office. Now, folks are taking their calls from the dining room, the kitchen, the garage, the basement…heck even the nursery room.
Virtual backgrounds such as those offered by Zoom, Teams, Google Meet, Webex and others have created a way for employees to hide their environment and present a professional, clean background to their colleagues. Or a silly one. Yes, indeed, virtual backgrounds have also allowed some silliness to creep in to the workplace and at a time when staff are more stressed out than normal, this humor is needed and appreciated.
In this post, we share how to change your Skype background and provide access to our repository of free Skype Virtual Backgrounds including:
- Modern Office Virtual Backgrounds
- Funny Skype Backgrounds
- Nature Theme Backgrounds
- And more!
Be safe out there and, please, wear some pants for your next virtual meeting!
Does Skype have virtual backgrounds?
Yes, Skype allows users to configure a background effect including virtual backgrounds and blurring your background. According to Skype, the option to choose a background effect is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux with the 18.104.22.168 release which began rolling out April 16, 2020.
Skype Backgrounds work best when they are landscape pictures instead of portrait.
Note: Skype for Windows 10 (version 14) supports blur background only
It bears mentioning that Skype is a separate and distinct product offering from Microsoft’s Teams product. While both products are owned by Microsoft, Teams is a newer offering that more tightly integrates with Microsoft’s productivity tools (think Word, Excel, etc). Skype was purchased by Microsoft several years ago and remains a viable competitor in the video meeting space.
How to Use Backgrounds With Skype
To change your virtual background with Skype during a video call perform the following steps:
- During a call, hover mouse over the “video button” (the small camera icon) or click the More (3 dots: … ).
- Select Choose background effect
- Then choose to Blur the room you’re in currently, choose an image you previously added, or Add a new image to customize your background effects
To change your virtual background for all Skype meetings perform the following steps:
- While in Skyp, Click your profile picture
- Click Settings (the gear), then click Audio & Video (the microphone)
- Under Choose background effect, you can Blur the room you’re in currently, choose an image you previously added, or Add a new image to customize your background effects for future calls
All future Skype meetings will use the background effect you configure.
If you have a relatively solid and flat wall behind your desk you might be able to get away without having a green screen (see our guide on green screens here). However, to get the most out of your virtual background experience you really need to invest in a green screen. Fortunately, they can be purchased for relatively affordable price. Here’s a few options:
- Good Value: Ravelli 6×10′ Chromakey Green Screen Background (Check Amazon Price)
- Most Creative: Removable Green Screen Solid Wallpaper (Check Amazon Price)
- Most Affordable: Redshop 160x200cm Non-Woven Fabric Backdrop (Check Amazon Price)
By the way, if you are looking for some funniness…consider checking out Every Single Zoom Call I am on Goes Like This.
Free Skype Backgrounds
Alright, let’s get to the good stuff! Here is our collection of Free Skype Backgrounds. In the gallery below, readers will find several examples of the types of Skype Virtual Backgrounds we have – all free of charge. From funny Skype Backgrounds, to Pandemic related virtual backgrounds, Office themed backgrounds, and Nature Backgrounds, we’ve got an impressive collection – and we continue to add to it. We’ve provided a link to our entire Skype Virtual Background library later in the article.
See our other Virtual Meeting Backgrounds:
Thanks, Stay Safe, and Wear Pants
Like many of us, you are probably struggling to find your new normal. Perhaps you’ve done that and are simply bored. We’ve got your back. Here’s a ton of recent content that revolves around what’s facing us today, including working from home ideas, what to watch, things to read, and how to avoid boredom. Enjoy.
- Hilarious Work from Home Memes that 100% accurate
- Best Work from Home Gifts
- The Workation and how to combine a vacation with work
- How to make your own Face Mask
- How to Disinfect your Cell Phone, Laptop, iPad, Spouse, etc (Travel Tip Tuesday #13)
- 11 Ways to Earn Cash from Home
- 17 Tips on Successfully Working from Home
- 7 Work from Home Accessories to Maximize Productivity
- 10 Books that have changed my life (and might change yours)
- 31 Funny Zoom Backgrounds
- Free Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
- How to keep yourself busy at home (31 things to do when you can’t travel)
- Practical advice for leading a team remotely during a crisis
- 5 Virtual Team Building Ideas to keep things light & fun while working remote
- Best Travel Thermometers
- Where to buy Face Masks for Travel
- Will Local Travel Lead the Way Back for the Travel Industry?
- 10 TV Shows from 2000-2010 worth rewatching while you are NOT traveling
- Best New Shows to Watch while NOT traveling (plus some deep cuts)
- Amazon Cinema is here to save us all: watch in-theater movies at home
- Amazon makes many kids shows free to help keep parents from losing their minds
- 7 Creative Ways to Travel When You Can’t Leave Your House
- 47 Best Travel Books of all time, the Ultimate List of Books to Read while Traveling
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable.