It’s day 24 of my working from home experience and I realize I’ve made a strategic error in the quality of my office chair. As a frequent business traveler who’s normally on the road more weeks than I am not, I don’t spend a lot of time in my home office. In fact, when not traveling I usually go into my company’s local office so I can see my staff face to face. But now, having sat in the same frigging chair for 24 days, my ass has said, “enough already!”
A few jobs ago I worked out of my house and had invested in a better quality chair – but even then since my job was about 50% travel – I wasn’t sitting in it for a sustained period of time. In my current role, as noted earlier, I am rarely in need of home office. I still keep a home office setup so I can have a quiet space to write this blog, or grade papers in my side hustle as an adjunct faculty member at a local university. Being a bit of a cheapskate on many things I did not put serious money into a desk chair.
That was a mistake.
The model I bought was a OFM Essentials Collection Executive Office Chair that cost me less than $75.00. That stat alone should tell you all you need to know about the quality of my investment.
Now, as I sit in this chair for extended periods of time, virtually leading my 225 employees, my rear end has staged a revolt. To make matters worse, my wife has invested in a good quality chair and I can see her sitting across the room in peaceful, luxurious booty-bliss enjoying the comforts of a well made office chair. Occasionally I will stretch my legs and attempt to commandeer her chair only to be rebuffed by a stern look, or a “oh, hell no!”
At this point I am either going to have to drop some coin on a new model, or get a seat cushion like the one pictured below:
I’ve been researching some new office chairs and there’s several ways to go here. I could go a more traditional route like this fella:
Or, I could amp it up with something crazy like a gaming chair, or drop north of a grand on a chair. Here’s a few options:
- Badass Gaming Chair (it’s purple!)
- Way overpriced chair that, for this price, better come with a personal masseuse
- I could go with a retro chair…but that would be stupid
What do you think I should do!? Any recommendations for a reasonably priced home office chair that the north end of my south bound body will approved of??
Be sure to check out my Best Tips for Working from Home post as well as my 7 Top Accessories you need to get your Home Office Sorted out.
Thanks, Be Safe, Wear Pants, and For the Love of God…get up and walk around!
Like many of us, you are probably struggling to find your new normal. Perhaps you’ve done that and are simply bored. We’ve got your back. Here’s a ton of recent content that revolves around what’s facing us today, including working from home ideas, what to watch, things to read, and how to avoid boredom. Enjoy.
- Hilarious Work from Home Memes that 100% accurate
- Best Work from Home Gifts
- The Workation and how to combine a vacation with work
- How to make your own Face Mask
- How to Disinfect your Cell Phone, Laptop, iPad, Spouse, etc (Travel Tip Tuesday #13)
- 11 Ways to Earn Cash from Home
- 17 Tips on Successfully Working from Home
- 7 Work from Home Accessories to Maximize Productivity
- 10 Books that have changed my life (and might change yours)
- 31 Funny Zoom Backgrounds
- Free Microsoft Teams Backgrounds
- How to keep yourself busy at home (31 things to do when you can’t travel)
- Practical advice for leading a team remotely during a crisis
- 5 Virtual Team Building Ideas to keep things light & fun while working remote
- Best Travel Thermometers
- Where to buy Face Masks for Travel
- Will Local Travel Lead the Way Back for the Travel Industry?
- 10 TV Shows from 2000-2010 worth rewatching while you are NOT traveling
- Best New Shows to Watch while NOT traveling (plus some deep cuts)
- Amazon Cinema is here to save us all: watch in-theater movies at home
- Amazon makes many kids shows free to help keep parents from losing their minds
- 7 Creative Ways to Travel When You Can’t Leave Your House
- 47 Best Travel Books of all time, the Ultimate List of Books to Read while Traveling
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable.