Advertiser Disclosure: CBoardingGroup has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. CBoardingGroup and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable. See our privacy & disclosure page for more info
Anyone can have a bad travel experience (even the pros). In fact, you are bound to have a few if you travel enough. And for those business travel pros like me it’s really only a matter of when you will have another one again. With as long as I’ve been doing this, I started to realize I had quite a few. Enough to start a new series which I’ve entitled: “The Horror Story Series.” In this series I will share a single horrible experience that I had while traveling.
From missing a connection by literally seconds, to engine blowouts, to upset stomachs, the Loud Talker, the Lady who Won’t Shut Up, showing up at the wrong hotel late at night, to customers threatening to fight you, hangovers, screaming babies and even the smelly passenger. We’ve all been there. #travelhorrorstory
In this first one, I bring you the “The Smelly Passenger.” It was a Delta flight from San Diego to JFK. I was on a Boeing 767 – you know the ones that have 3 seats in the middle and 2 on the outside.
I was in the middle section – the direct middle. I did not get the upgrade. The plane was essentially boarded and I was already eyeing the seat next to me…that lovely aisle seat which would have given a full seat of space between me and the lady next to me.
Yet, within seconds of the boarding door being closed, the last passenger arrived. And while there were a few other empty seats on the plane we all know what happened. He came to mine.
He didn’t speak English and I am pretty sure he’d literally come straight from the field to the plane. I imagine he’d been working all day and rushed to the flight. His BO was overpowering. Wave after wave kept hitting me all flight. All 5 hours of the flight to NYC. I literally gagged from time to time it was so bad. Nothing could be done. I have a rule for dealing w/ situations like that – something I picked up in the Marine Corps. Basically, it’s this: nothing lasts forever. The push-ups you are doing, the run you are on, the flight w/ the smelly passenger. It *will* end. Eventually. This is actually a key travel hack tip that I share in my article 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler.
Post script: He was a nice enough fella actually. What broken English he knew and clumsy Spanish I knew didn’t get us very far, but he was happy to give up elbow room for my middle seat. I don’t know if he knew how bad he smelled, or maybe just didn’t care, but I couldn’t get off that plane fast enough.
That’s my smelly passenger story, what’s yours?
If you liked this content, please do us a favor share it on social media and click the “like” button below and don’t forget to follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
And, of course, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice and product reviews, you might like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips – the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 17 Travel Mistakes Rookie Business Travelers Make on their Biz Trips
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- Top Travel Pillows – the best travel pillows for 2019
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 11 Best Hotel Beds – Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- Why Frequent Travelers should buy their Travel Size Toiletries in Bulk!
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler – the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- How to get over jet lag while you travel – 11 Jet Lag Tips for every traveler
- The Mileage Run – A Frequent Flyer Travel Hack You Need to Know
- Best Travel Drone – compare and contrast the top rated drones for travel
- Anker PowerCore 20100 Review – Should I buy?
- 7 Cyber Security Travel Tips: Don’t get hacked on your business trip