Frequent travelers burn through travel toiletries at an astonishing pace. Because the TSA limits our toiletries to 3.4 oz sized products we can only get a a trip or two out of our products before we have to replenish. This can get costly and is exactly why you should buy your travel size toiletries in bulk.
Frequent Travelers should always buy Travel Size Toiletries in Bulk
Let’s dig into this subject a bit more. First, however, we are going to look at the TSA Rules for liquids.
TSA Rules for Liquids when traveling
By way of reminder, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) restricts the size of liquids. Specifically, the “3-1-1” rule applies. This means any liquids or gels brought through airport security and onto the plane must be three ounces or smaller (3.4 oz, to be precise), must be stored in a 1 quart size clear plastic bag and only 1 bag per traveler is allowed.
There are some exceptions to these rules (e.g. if you are traveling with breast milk or formula), but for the most part travelers must still abide by these post 9/11 rules.
Save Money by buying Travel Toiletries in Bulk
For frequent travelers the cost of maintaining a current supply of travel toiletries can add up over time. While the cost of an individual tube of travel toothpaste is tiny, the per oz price means you are getting ripped off.
Take for example this Travel Size Toothpaste from Crest (below). Target currently lists this .085 oz product at $1.39.
That’s roughly a $1.64 per ounce of toothpaste. Compare that to a full sized tube of the same toothpaste which is listed at $2.99 for a 5.4 ounce container, or roughly $0.55 cents an ounce. That’s an almost 300% price difference (295% percent to be exact)!
Yes…you read that right 300 Percent!
While I am sure that the folks at Proctor & Gamble are enjoying their margins on travel size toiletries and in the grand scheme of things we are talking about a few nickels here, not thousands of dollars, the frequent traveler is always better served when being frugal with their money.
“Nickels Make Dollars!”
As my old boss used to say, nickels make dollars. The point being that even small amounts of money are worth keeping track of. It all adds up.
The savvy traveler knows that making smart financial choices at all levels pays off over time. That’s exactly why I will only buy my travel toiletries in bulk.
“I will only buy my travel toiletries in bulk.”
Let’s compare some prices.
That same toothpaste is available on Amazon.com in a 72 pack (yes, 72!) for around $0.85 cents an ounce.
If you are not up for buying 72 travel toothpastes, there are smaller quantity packages too – that save a good amount of money as well.
For example, even just a pack of only 4 Crest w/ Scope Travel Size Toothpastes will run you $1.26 an ounce which is a 33% savings.
The point is this. Buying your travel toiletries in bulk will save you money – potentially significant money – over time. When you combine that strategy with the willingness to do a little comparison shopping you will likely be able to find some reallly great deals!
“Buying your travel toiletries in bulk will save you money – potentially significant money – over time.”
Bulk Travel Toiletries – some more ideas for travelers
To give travelers some additional examples, I’ve summarized a few travel toiletries that I personally buy in bulk for my trips, plus a few other examples that may be of interest to readers.
What I buy
Here are a few of my personal favorites, courtesy of Amazon.com:
- My Toothpaste: 36 Pack of Crest Pro-Health Travel Toothpaste (Check Price)
- My Deodorant: 6 Pack Old Spice, Fiji (Check Price)
- My Hair Gel: 6 Pack, Got2B Glued (200% Savings Over Buying them Individually!)
- My Shaving Cream: 3 Pack, Barbasol Shaving Cream (Check Price)
- My Aftershave: 6-Pack Gillette After Shave Gel, Sensitive Skin (Check Price)
I also, btw, have built a travel first aid kid designed for frequent travelers and all of the ills that can befall us. Check out The Traveller’s First Aid Kit – the savvy road warrior is always prepared.
Some other ideas
Here are a few other interesting mini toiletries in bulk that I’ve found on Amazon that may inspire our readers:
Pantene Conditioner 3.38 Oz Travel Size (Check Price) (for Pack of 3)
This men’s convenience travel kit is interesting because it does the heavy lifting for you. By building a potentially perfect travel toiletry kit for you, there’s no heavy lifting. Maybe a great gift idea for the traveler in your life?
Speaking of travel gifts, don’t forget to check out our gift guides for travelers including:
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- Gifts for Traveling Moms – Mother’s Day Gift Guide 2019
Don’t forget the Toiletries Bag
You need a great place to store your travel toiletries so here are few popular options to consider:
42 Travel Hanging Toiletry Bag – wildly popular on Amazon and one of their Top Travel Accessories
Speaking of travel accessories, you might be interested in the Top 10 Best Travel Accessories on Amazon for 2019.
And if you have special toiletries that you can’t buy in bulk…
Sometimes your special beauty products don’t come in travel sizes. Not to worry. There are a variety of different options for travelers. The most common is to buy a leak proof set of silicon travel containers to pour your favorite conditioner (or whatever) into for your trip. One of the more popular brands is noted below:
Final Thoughts on Buying Bulk Travel Sized Toiletries
We hope you are convinced that buying your travel toiletries in bulk is the best way to go. Frequent travelers will likely save money over the long haul by employing this strategy.
So…what’s your favorite bulk travel items? What products do you wish had a travel size and don’t! Join the conversation by dropping us a comment, below.
If you liked this content, please do us a favor share it on social media and click the “like” button below and don’t forget to follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
And, of course, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips – the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 9 Healthy Travel Snacks – eat smarter on the road
- 11 Best Hotel Beds – Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- Top Travel Pillows – the best travel pillows for 2019
- What’s a young driver fee & what’s the best under 25 Car Rental Company?
- Product Review: OGIO Metro Backpack, The Business Traveler’s Backpack
- Ultimate Bitcoin Travel Directory: How and where to use crypto for travel
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler – the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- How to get over jet lag while you travel – 11 Jet Lag Tips for every traveler
- The Mileage Run – A Frequent Flyer Travel Hack You Need to Know
- Best Travel Drone – compare and contrast the top rated drones for travel
- Anker PowerCore 20100 Review – Should I buy?