Advertiser Disclosure: CBoardingGroup has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. CBoardingGroup and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
How the heck do hotels get their beds looking so amazing!? My bed never looks like that and I doubt yours does either. If you are curious how hotels make their beds look so awesome and you want to replicate this in your home read on. Today’s Travel Tip Tuesday, the first in our focus on hotel tips and tricks, is all about the making a hotel bed.
It’s all about hotels this month! Yep, all of this June we are going to be bringing your hotel related travel tips and hotel hacks. So tune back in each Tuesday for the next tip. And, you can read all of the preceding Travel Tip Tuesday’s here.
How to make your bed at home just like a hotel bed!
What kind of witchcraft do those hotel maids practice? How do they get their pillows to be so plump? Nary a wrinkle to be found, right? And it usually looks like it is ready for an HGTV photo shoot. Not to worry, we’ve got you covered.
We did a little research and found an amazing and insightful video that the pros over at HGTV put together that tells you exactly how to make a bed like a hotel. We give you the highlights, below, and then give you a link to the video so you can learn from the masters.
Here are the steps:
- Thread count really isn’t that important! Yep, thread count, according to the experts, is less important than the quality of the cotton. Specifically, Egyptian cotton is preferred.
- Get the right setup. Yep, it’s takes a village – a village worth of bedding that is. Here’s what the experts at HGTV recommend for your bed making dream:
- Mattress Pad w/ Elastic Edging
- Fitted Sheet
- Flat Sheet
- Pillow Cases
- Light Blanket (or heavy) – like the waffle blankets you see in many hotels these days
- Hotel style Duvet / Comforter
- 2 Standard Pillow Shams
- 2 European Pillow Shams
- As many accent pillows as you feel you need
- Optional (but recommended): a throw blanket (different color than your duvet)
- Mattress cover goes on first! It adds a little extra comfort & coziness.
- Then install your fitted sheet (although, as HGTV points out, many hotels don’t use fitted sheets. They use flat sheets. Find out why here. It’s still ok (and more practical to use a fitted sheet at home, though).
- To get crisp sheets…you could iron them, but HGTV has a different approach. This is interesting. They suggest you dry them about 95% and then put them on your bed slightly damp. Wait, what!? Yep.
- Place your flat sheet. But don’t fold it down yet!
- Place your comfy blanket…and now fold both sheet and blanket down exposing your sheet.
- Tuck everything in nice and tight. And make some of those military or hospital corners you heard about (the video, below, shows you what HGTV means)
- Place your duvet. If wrinkled spray a little water on it and stretch / smooth it out. The wrinkles will disappear. Downy dewrinkler works too. Make sure to fold your duvet down about half way giving plenty of room for pillow madness!
- Add a throw blanket, if you have one.
- Get pillow crazy. Yep, start with standard shammed pillows, then your European, then your sleeping pillows, then a few accent pillows. Make sure to plump your pillows.
Boom…there you have it. You now have a hotel quality bed – or at least one in disguise. Now…go lay down the law with your kids…NO TOUCHING MY BED!
Keep reading to see the full video from HGTV, below complete with visual instructions. And special thanks and credit goes to HGTV for putting this together!
Some Amazing Hotel Related Gear to make your next hotel stay sweeter or bring a little of the hotel back with you!
Here’s the full video from HGTV:
Check out all of our Hotel Tips and Hotel Hacks
Since you stopped in, I’d encourage you check out these other articles we’ve written about healthy travel:
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 11 Best Hotel Beds â Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- 9 Hotel Safety Tips â You Need to Know
- Travel Tip Tuesday #1: Donât Leave your toothbrush in the hotel room
Thanks for tuning in to Travel Tip Tuesday again
Thanks for tuning in this week! Please check back each Tuesday for a new travel tip.
Here in June we are deep diving on Hotel Tips and Hotel Hacks.
For readers interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might be like these great articles:
- 21 Fatherâs Day Gifts for Dads That Travel For Work
- Best Packing Cubes â find the top packing cubes for 2019 that everyone is buying!
- Top Travel Pillows â the best travel pillows for 2019
- Best Travel Drones â Comparison & Analysis
- 147 Business Travel Tips â the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- Ultimate Bitcoin Travel Directory: How and where to use crypto for travel
- Travel Memes – a funny look at life on the road
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler â the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- 9 Travel Safety Tips to help you stay safe on your next trip
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition