In a press release published today, the Texas-based airline noted that it was eliminating oversize baggage fees for sports equipment and instruments and other musical equipment.
The timing could not be better as the summer travel season approaches and with the hordes of family travelers – many with their sports gear in tow as they head to a travel volleyball or softball tournament, etc.
It also applies to folks bringing surfboards or other larger adventure style sports gear.
For musicians, this is likely a welcome relief as well – especially those with larger musical gear.
Their press release explicitly states:
“American is eliminating oversize bag fees for common sports and music equipment, effective for travel on or after May 21”
American highlights a few other key elements worth noting
- American is treating the oversize items as a standard checked bag (in other words, you still get charged to check the item…just NOT the oversize charge).
- The oversize charge used to be $150.00, now it’s simply the normal $30.00 bag fee American charges, as long as the weight is under 50 lbs
- If it’s your second checked bag, the normal $40.00 second bag fee would apply
- Really large items (like a windkite, or scuba gear) will continue to be subject to the $150.00 feeÂ – due to their weight
- American’s max size for checked instruments is: 150 in / 381 cm, and the maximum weight is 165 lbs / 75 kg. Anything larger or heavier still has to be shipped via Cargo.
What this really means
In reality, American has softened its fee for large items THAT DON’T WEIGH MUCH. That’s the real change here. Items that still exceed the weight limit of 50 lbs are still subject to a fee.
Still, this offers travelers some excellent and meaningful savings and the timing is perfect as we head into the summer.
This is clearly a competitive move on American’s part given that other airlines like United and Alaska made similar moves recently.
For more travel related news, check out ourÂ travel news section.
If you liked this content, please do us a favor share it on social media and click the “like” button below and don’t forget to follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
And, of course, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice and product reviews, you might like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips â€“ the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 17 Travel Mistakes Rookie Business Travelers Make on their Biz Trips
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- Top Travel Pillows â€“ the best travel pillows for 2019
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 11 Best Hotel Beds â€“ Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- Why Frequent Travelers should buy their Travel Size Toiletries in Bulk!
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler â€“ the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- How to get over jet lag while you travel â€“ 11 Jet Lag Tips for every traveler
- The Mileage Run â€“ A Frequent Flyer Travel Hack You Need to Know
- Best Travel Drone – compare and contrast the top rated drones for travel
- Anker PowerCore 20100 Review â€“ Should I buy?
- 7 Cyber Security Travel Tips: Donâ€™t get hacked on your business trip
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable.