The #businesstravellife will take you to glamorous places like NYC, Miami, LA or Paris. But, the true #roadwarrior life, the grind-it-out, missed your connection, hustling to commuter terminal business life may just take you all over this great country and to some not so glitzy locales. Over the years I’ve seen both big and small cities/towns. I stayed in fancy hotels and some dumpy ones (where I was pretty sure there was a drug deal going on in the next room).
In my previous post I shared what I think is the Best Big City to Visit while on Business. In this follow up post I am going smaller: the Best “Little” City to Visit while on Business. I am using the term “city” a little liberally here. Basically – what’s the best non-major-big-city-that’s not a “town” to visit.
The truth of the matter is this was a very hard choice. It was pretty easy to pick the big city (NYC, baby!), but there are just so many great places all across the US that is was darned hard to pick my favorite “little city.” For example, how awesome is Boise, ID? Or Nashville (Nashvegas if you prefer) or even Sacramento, CA with it’s hidden downtown gems and cool foodie scene?
While all of those come close, for me, it’s all about Indy! Yes indeed, Indianapolis, IN. Indy has been one of my favorite cities to visit for many years. And while you might not see a Midwest city in an area known for being flat and cold being so great, I can honestly tell you it’s a great place!
With a population of just under 900k, this capitol of Indiana is home to all kinds of interesting things. For example, the Colts and Pacers are here, if you are into sports. Plus that little race we call the Indy 500. And there’s some interesting museums and art galleries. But for my money, it’s the people and food and the overall “good time” I always have when I visit Indy.
Facts aside, here are the reasons I love Indy:
- St. Elmos’s steakhouse. Been around since 1902! It is the greatest steakhouse in the world, IMO. Quality of meat aside (we can debate that), what we cannot debate is the quality of their shrimp cocktail which is world renowned for being HOT. I say again, HOT! Whew. But delicious. #bucketlist
- Acapulco Joes Breakfast Biscuits and Gravy. The spicy biscuits and gravy here at a Acapulco Joes is so tasty it will heal any hangover and stick to your inside on a cold Midwest day.
- Indianapolis City Market. A really cool indoor market with local vendors, good foods, and hipsters…. But seriously, this place is way cool.
- Indianapolis Colts – and their cool stadium. I had a friend who played for the Colts when they won the Super Bowl a few years ago. And while I am not really a huge Colts fan it was a fun story that year. Plus I’ve hosted customer events at their stadium and it’s pretty darn awesome.
- Cool downtown for conventions (not too big / not too small) and affordable. I’ve used the Indy convention center many times. It’s a great place for a conf. Easy access, reasonable walking, and a cool downtown for quick bites to eat.
- Nice people. I think this is the coup de grace for Indy. The people are always so nice. Midwestern charm.
The Indy Airport is nothing to get excited about, and I’ve never been more cold in my life in Indy (seriously…freezing insanity on one biz trip a few years back), but I still love the city. In terms of business travel, the airport is easy to get in and out of, hotels are pretty cheap, and you can almost skip the rental car if you want. I don’t think I could live there, but I certainly can visit a lot.
Make sure you add Indy to your business travel list. What’s your favorite little city?
If you liked this content, please do us a favor share it on social media and click the “like” button below and don’t forget to follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
And, of course, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice and product reviews, you might like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips – the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 17 Travel Mistakes Rookie Business Travelers Make on their Biz Trips
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- Top Travel Pillows – the best travel pillows for 2019
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 11 Best Hotel Beds – Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- Why Frequent Travelers should buy their Travel Size Toiletries in Bulk!
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler – the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- How to get over jet lag while you travel – 11 Jet Lag Tips for every traveler
- The Mileage Run – A Frequent Flyer Travel Hack You Need to Know
- Best Travel Drone – compare and contrast the top rated drones for travel
- Anker PowerCore 20100 Review – Should I buy?
- 7 Cyber Security Travel Tips: Don’t get hacked on your business trip