The Expanse Season 4 just hit cyberspace like a torpedo launched at a protomolecule (which will make more sense once you watch Season 4!). This Sci-Fi masterpiece has been dubbed the “Game of Thrones for Space” and after watching the first three seasons that moniker is very appropriate. The Expanse debuted its fourth season on a new network having been saved by Amazon and features thrilling action, realistic science, and geo-political plot lines that are sure to ensnare most viewers.
Here at the CBoardingGroup we are BIG fans of The Expanse and were first turned on to this show by some of the best TV & Movie Podcasters in the game, the fellas over at BaldMove.com and their Expense-focused “Beltalowda” Podcast. If you are looking for some serious, thoughtful and funny coverage of The Expanse, check them out (not to mention their many other excellent podcasts)
Don’t forget to check out the 10 Best Shows to Binge Watch on your Flight
Series Overview: The Expanse
The Expanse first aired on the SYFY Channel (Science Fiction Channel) in 2015. After 3 seasons on SYFY it was briefly cancelled, ultimately to picked up by the folks over at Amazon Prime after an extensive ‘save the show’ campaign by fans (apparently Jeff Bezos himself is a fan!)
The Expanse is based on a series of novels written by the author James S. A. Corey (which is actually the pen name of the two co-authors Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck who jointly write the series). Daniel Abraham, interestingly, was a one-time assistant to George R. R. Martin, creator of the Game of Thrones series.
As a long time science fiction fan, I tend to be very skeptical of anything SYFY puts out because of their history of low-budget, B-actor productions that seldom get mainstream reach. However, The Expense is a bit of an anomaly in that it is a well written, highly stylized and suitably acted endeavor that continues to get better each season.
Despite incredibly poor marketing by SYFY, the show managed to gain a reasonably sized and engaged audience of committed followers, including people like Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos who played a personal role in securing rights to the show after it was cancelled by SYFY.
While not achieving mainstream success during its run on SYFY it has been wildly popular among its core audience. The highly publicized cancellation campaign only created more buzz for it and both old and new viewers alike anxiously awaited the new season.
Already one of the most significant and credible entries into the science fiction genre The Expanse has all the makings of a mainstream show with many people suggesting it is the “Game of Thrones” for space.
The Expanse Plot Overview
Note: There are no spoilers below
In this geopolitical, science fiction, action thriller we find a compelling futuristic setting, a fascinating plot line, and enough hard sci-fi to pass the smell test.
It is the 23rd century and humanity has colonized space – specifically Mars. The Martian nation, now independent from Earth after declaring independence many years ago, enjoys a frosty relationship with the Earthers (also known as “inners”).
Meanwhile, a 3rd group of people, known as Belters, occupy the various asteroid belts scattered throughout the system and do the dirty work of ice mining for one of the more precious commodities now: water. Belter’s are scorned by both Martians and Earthers as second rate people.
The discovery of a unique and powerful substance known as the protomolecule (told we’d come back to this!) sets in motion of a chain of events that threaten to unleash a galactic war while testing the boundaries of racism and cultural bias and cunning political intrigue.
The crew of the Rocinante, a salvaged martian warship, are a melting pot of Earthers, Belters and Martians who continually find themselves in the middle of some of the biggest events the galaxy has to offer.
The Expanse features a mix of familiar character actors with some relatively unknown actors and a few bigger names that viewers will instantly recognize (like Thomas Jane). The actors grow into their role as the series progresses continually giving more to their performances and this SYFY show is not plagued with horrible acting as is often the case on lower budget SYFY projects.
Why should I watch this Show While Traveling?
While the incredible special effects and big ideas about space are intriguing its the geopolitical intrigue and interpersonal relationships that hook viewers.
As noted earlier, it has the ability to be the Game of Thrones for space with the right balance of political intrigue – at a space level – and action as well as romance. The sci-fi is acceptable enough that’s it not a distraction for viewers and only improves as the show moves on over it’s 3 seasons.
While imperfect (it still is, er was — a SYFY show) it seems to be punching above it’s weight class with all of the hallmarks of becoming one of the best entries into the science fiction space of all time (up there with Star Wars, etc).
And now that Amazon Prime is running the franchise it could very well have the mainstream appeal that draws in casual sci-fi fans or simply just fans of good television.
Where can I watch The Expanse Season 4?
The Expanse Season 4 is an Amazon Prime Original. Viewers can watch is free as part of their annual Amazon Prime Membership. If you don’t have an Amazon Prime Video membership, click on the link below:
Where to Find More Info about The Expanse
Here are a few places to follow The Expanse or find more information about this intriguing show:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/expanseonprime/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ExpanseOnPrime
- Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/
- Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(TV_series)
- Fandom Wiki: https://expanse.fandom.com/wiki/The_Expanse_Wiki
- Great Podcast to accompany your viewing: Beltalowda by BaldMove
Thanks for tuning in, now go watch The Expanse!
If you are looking for a compelling show with intriguing plot lines, big ideas, politics and enough space battles and action to get your heart rate up, The Expanse is the show for you and Season 4 picks up where it left off last season and we loved every minute of it!
We highly recommend you add it to your list of shows to watch while traveling!
If you liked this content, please do us a favor share it on social media and click the “like” button below and don’t forget to follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
- 147 Business Travel Tips Ã¢â¬â the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 27 Amazing Hotel Pillows Ã¢â¬â the Best Hotel Pillows You can Buy
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2020 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 11 Best Hotel Beds Ã¢â¬â Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- Why Frequent Travelers should buy their Travel Size Toiletries in Bulk!
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler Ã¢â¬â the Best Business Travel Hacks
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- Mother’s Day Gifts for Moms who Travel for Work
- The Mileage Run Ã¢â¬â A Frequent Flyer Travel Hack You Need to Know
- Best Travel Drone – compare and contrast the top rated drones for travel
- Anker PowerCore 20100 Review Ã¢â¬â Should I buy?
- TSA Food Rules Ã¢â¬â can you take food on a plane in hand luggage?
- Beats Solo 3 Wireless Review Are these Beats Travel Headphones worth the money?
- How to get through Airport Security Faster with these practical TSA Tips (Travel Tip Tuesday #29)
- The Top 5 Grand Rapids Breweries Ã¢â¬â the beer scene is strong!
- WhatÃ¢â¬â¢s a young driver feeÃÂ & whatÃ¢â¬â¢s the best under 25 Car Rental Company?
- Best Packing Cubes you didn’t know you needed
- TSA Drone Policy – do they have one?
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable.