Migraines run in my family; I guess they’re genetic. My dad gets them, my grandmother did, my children get them…and I do. And they are absolutely debilitating. Especially when you are on a trip.
WebMD notes the following symptoms of migraines:
- “Moderate to severe pain (often described as pounding, throbbing pain) that can affect the whole head, or can shift from one side of the head to the other
- Sensitivity to light, noise or odors
- BlurredÂ vision
- Nausea orÂ vomiting,Â stomachÂ upset,Â abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Sensations of being very warm or cold
- Fever (rare)
- Bright flashing dots or lights, blind spots, wavy or jagged lines (aura)”
And I can tell you that I’ve personally experienced all of these (except fever).
When you travel for work as much as I do you are bound to get a headache on a trip. Fortunately, I’ve been blessed in that I don’t get them all that often and I know my triggers.
But, for me, the combination of dehydration, lack of caffeine and mistiming food can trigger a nasty one.
Usually, if I catch it in time I can make it out ok.
But a few years back, I didn’t.
My Travel Horror Story
It was a flight to Florida (maybe the sheer terror of a Florida airport in the summer triggered it…haha). It was an early flight so I was tired. As I usually do I tend to dehydrate myself before I fly (I hate having to go to the bathroom multiple times when I am on an airplane so I drink water the night before…then not much on the plane or in the morning before the flight). Yeah, I know, it’s dumb. I am working on it.
I woke up late and as a result didn’t get my coffee. Strike two.
I did scarf a small meal down before I jumped on the plane and a swig of coffee, but things were already in motion. Because my ATL layover was tight I did not have enough time to get a proper lunch or refuel on coffee. So on my flight to Tampa it hit me. Blinding pain, blurry vision and a wave of nausea.
The flight was bumpy so I couldn’t get up to get my magic elixir: Aleve. But I did wash down a quick coffee from the service.
I was in agony. By the time I got off the plane I was ready to die. It was so bad. I had a customer meeting that night which I had to bail on. By this time the window to catch the migraine was gone. I was going to ride this one out.
The pain was so intense I couldn’t sleep, but I knew I needed food. I ordered room service and ate what I could (promptly vomiting it back up). An unhealthy cocktail of water, Aleve and Tylenol PM finally did the trick. And by trick I mean knocked me out (not get rid of the headache).
I must have got 3 hours of sleep max. Maybe.
But the headache was gone in the AM and like a trooper I made my event, gave my speech (although not my best one) and got back on the plane. Because that what us business travelers do…
Thanks for tuning in
A migraine is brutal under any circumstances, but on a plane? Forget about it. When you travel for work like I do you are bound to have some rotten things happen to you (see all of the articles in this travel horror story series for more lovely tales). But this one was darn close to the worst ever.
What’s your travel horror story? Join the conversation by leaving a comment or join us on social media @CBoardingGroup.com.
Speaking of health issues and travel…you might be interested in some of our healthy travel series. Check out these fine articles:
- 7 Habits of the Healthy Business Traveler: How to Stay Healthy While Traveling for Business
- 9 Healthy Travel Snacks â eat smarter on the road
- How to get over jet lag while you travel â 11 Jet Lag Tips for every traveler
- Travel Tip Tuesday #16: Always Workout Before Dinner (Healthy Travel Tips)
- Travel Tip Tuesday #17: The Importance of Staying Hydrated while traveling (Healthy Travel Tips)
If you liked this content, please do us a favor share it on social media and click the “like” button below and don’t forget to follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
And, of course, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips â the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 11 Best Hotel Beds â Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- Top Travel Pillows â the best travel pillows for 2019
- Whatâs a young driver fee & whatâs the best under 25 Car Rental Company?
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler â the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- The Mileage Run â A Frequent Flyer Travel Hack You Need to Know
- Best Travel Drone – compare and contrast the top rated drones for travel
- Anker PowerCore 20100 Review â Should I buy?