Staying healthy while on a trip can be a challenge at times. It takes concerted effort, consistency, and occasionally a little creativity. This week’s Travel Tip Tuesday is about creativity or at least about not being so lazy.
Travel Tip Tuesday #31 – People Movers and Escalators…avoid ’em if you can
Every airport seems to have innumerable people movers and escalators. But you don’t have to use them! A trick I’ve employed for many years is to simply avoid them and instead take the stairs or walk alongside the people movers.
- You can read all of the preceding Travel Tip Tuesdays here.
For example, when switching terminals in the Phoenix Airport there are long hallways separated by people movers. If you have the time that long walk is a great way to burn some extra calories. If you have lots of time you can walk back and forth a few times to get your daily steps in.
The same thing applies to escalators – although depending on the amount of luggage you have (or your medical condition/age) it could be impractical. If you happened to have checked your bag and are just rolling with a solo backpack or purse, then the stairs might be a great way to burn some calories while traveling. I see many travelers who intentionally carry their carry-on up/down stairs to get a little extra exercise.
- Speaking of healthy travel you might be interested in The Best (and most essential) Travel Workout Gear for the Frequent Traveler
Little things like this start to add up. Maybe you don’t have time to get to the hotel gym, but that long layover in PHX allowed you to burn a few calories and at least salvage the day. I had a boss (sales guy) who used to say “Nickels make dollars” meaning that even small deals were okay. That applies to your health as well. Sometimes, many times, small decisions like this can add up over time and they are simply part of an overall strategy to stay a little healthier while on a trip.
- For more on Healthy Travel check out the: 7 Habits of the Healthy Business Traveler.
Here is some amazing Travel Gear to make your next airport visit sweeter!
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. We may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable. Click here to read our privacy & disclosure page.
Here are some more Air Travel and Airport Related Tips & Tricks
Since you stopped in, I’d encourage you check out these other articles we’ve written about air travel and airports:
- 147 Business Travel Tips – the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- Airport Travel Tips: 7 ways to optimize your airport experience
- 3 Letter Airport Codes – their history, funny ones and more
- Top Travel Pillows – the best travel pillows for 2019
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler – the Best Business Travel Hacks
Thanks for tuning in to Travel Tip Tuesday!
Thanks for tuning in this week! Please check back each Tuesday for a new travel tip. This August we are focusing on airport tips and tricks so be sure to check back in!
By the way, we’d love it if you’d follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Or, join the conversation and leave us a comment below, too. We love comments.
For readers interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might be like these great articles:
- Best Packing Cubes – find the top packing cubes that everyone is buying!
- 26 Must-Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- Best Travel Drones – Comparison & Analysis
- Product Review WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount (Best Phone Mount for Travel)
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers
- 10 Practical Tips to Survive the Airplane Middle Seat
- Travel Memes – a funny look at life on the road
- 9 Travel Safety Tips to help you stay safe on your next trip