Advertiser Disclosure: CBoardingGroup has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. CBoardingGroup and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
The frequent traveler knows how important it is to workout while traveling. As such he or she can and should bring some gear with them on their trip to help facilitate consistent workouts. In this article I highlight the essential travel workout gear for the frequent traveler including links on where to find these items.
Admittedly some of this is a bit subjective based on the type of workouts you prefer. Thus, I’ve separated my list of essential workout gear for business travelers into two basic categories: the basics (theoretically applying to all types of workouts…emphasis on theoretically) and a separate category of special workout gear that is dependent on the type of workout you prefer. Consider the second category simply ideas to help you get started on outfitting your exercise kit!
But first, some assumptions before we get into the Best Travel Workout Gear
Before we get to the list I want to highlight a few foundational elements that will help set the stage for the gear I suggest. If nothing else, this will help provide some context.
- I am assuming you are traveling for work
- I am assuming you may, from time to time, use the hotel gym (e.g. for weights, or treadmill / elliptical, etc)
- Some of you may prefer to run outside
- I’ve tried to avoid being gender specific (e.g. I am not recommending a sports bra…if you need one, get one. You don’t need me to tell you that).
Essential Travel Workout Gear for Travelers
Here is a list of basic or essential workout gear for business travelers. The list below is compiled in the context of the assumptions noted in the previous section.
Good Quality Workout Headphones for Travelers
I am sure you have a pair of nice headphones in your travel kit already (I use the Beats Solo 3 headphones), but I suspect you don’t want to use them for a hot sweaty hour long jog, nor would they even be suited for that. The challenge of course is finding something that works well, is reasonably priced and doesn’t cause you to over pack. Here’s a few interesting ideas:
SENSO’s Bluetooth Workout Headphones pack an audio punch and a short 1.5 hour recharge time. They feature 4 different color choices (which all vary in price) and travel pretty well.
The LETSCOM Wireless Headphones are bluetooth enabled and fairly well regarded. These workout headphones come in several different color choices and have a short 2 hour charge time for an 8 hour playtime (who runs that long!?!?).
The Powerbeats3 Wireless Earphones for working out are by far the most pricey option of this list, but Beats is known for pretty solid quality when it comes to headphones (albeit not cheap). I personally prefer something a little less expensive when it comes to working out, but if you’ve got the money to spend, these could be the ones you’ve been waiting for.
Arm Band for your phone
Chances are you don’t use a Zune as your preferred workout music system…if you do, sorry about that. You are likely using your iPhone or Android device and streaming Spotify, Pandora or even Amazon Prime’s Music (which is pretty dope, btw). Because you don’t want to carry your phone in your hand while working out you need a good arm strap to bring with you.
- TRIBE Water Resistant Cell Phone Armband Case for iPhone X, Xs, 8, 7, 6, 6S Samsung Galaxy S9, S8, S7, S6, A8 (Check Price)
- Sport2People Running Pouch Belt (Check Price)
- GEARWEAR Running Phone Holder Waist Pocket Belt (Check Price)
- Sports Armband: Cell Phone Holder Case / Wrist Band (Check Price)
Good Quality Workout Shoes
This is somewhat a personal preference based on a lot of factors (gender, feet size, shoe fit, etc), but one thing you definitely NEED to bring is a pair of good quality workout shoes. For me it’s the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 19’s, but it might be something else for you.
Some popular options include:
- ASICS Women’s Gel-Venture 6 Running-Shoes
- PUMA Women’s Tazon 6 WN’s FM Cross-Trainer Shoe
- ASICS Mens Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe
- Under Armour Men’s Charged Intake 3 Running Shoe
Check out our very popular workout travel tip highlighted in our Travel Tip Tuesday Series: Always Workout Before Dinner
If you are like me, your workout shoes have a tendency to stink. No need to funk up the rest of your clothes when you stash your nasty Nike’s into your suitcase. This is why I always use a shoe bag when bringing my workout shoes with me.
You have a few options here. For years I went the uber cheap route and simply used either a grocery bag or a trash bag. This honestly works pretty good and is more or less free. However, if you are looking to up your game a bit (or want to give your spouse a good idea for a gift…). Here’s a few suggestions:
The YAMIU Travel Shoe Bag is an insanely popular (and affordable) item designed specifically for the easy (and smell free) transport of shoes.
Speaking of Travel Gifts, be sure to check out Business Travel Gift List which contains 53 gift ideas for frequent business travelers
Another option is the Baya Corp Travel Bags, which while a little less aesthetically appealing are incredibly functional – and still pretty cheap.
Travel Water Bottle
In our Travel Tip Tuesday series we highlighted theÂ Importance of Staying Hydrated while traveling. One key way to do that is to bring a travel water bottle with you. Sure, you can use the hotel water, but I prefer to bring something that I can refill on my terms. Plus you can use it at the airport and avoid the $7.00 bottle of water (that should cost $1.50).
- Nomader Collapsible Water Bottle – Leak Proof Twist Cap – BPA Free, 22 oz
- Baiji Water Bottle
- Style4U Collapsible Foldable Water Bottle
Workout-dependent Gear – some ideas
In this section we highlight some travel workout gear that will likely be more useful for specific types of workouts or preferences. E.g. Yoga vs. Running, or HIIT training versus lifting weights, etc. There’s literally no shortage of interesting travel workout gear to choose from so we’ve highlighted just a few of things that caught our eye.
Travel Yoga Mat
Yoga ain’t for me, but the hotel room offers you the privacy needed to knock out a great yoga workout. Bring this space saving travel yoga mat with you and avoid carpet burn!
Looking for some healthy travel snacks? Check out 9 Healthy Travel Snacks to eat smarter on the road
Cordless Jump Rope
Jumping rope is an insanely effective cardiovascular activity. But in a hotel room you probably don’t want to replace a lamp when your rope smacks it. Instead, opt for a cordless jump rope and get the same level of workout – sans a new lamp!
I love to keep score and the FitBit activity tracker, below, can help you keep a record of your performance including your steps throughout the day. For example, I try to skip people movers and escalators when I am in airports and I like to track my overall steps each day. Compete with yourself, or get an accountability partner. Game on!
Exercise Resistance Bands
Resistance band training is wildly popular and a kit like that listed below can easily travel with you giving the ability to quickly knock out a good workout in the privacy of your hotel room.
No Equipment Workout Book
Looking for ideas on how to do simple, but effective workouts in your hotel room? Here’s an interesting book that will help you get started!
The End – it’s time to workout, right?
Ok, there you have it. A great list of essential travel workout gear that every business traveler ought to have, plus some great ideas on interesting and unique travel workout gear.
Don’t forget to check out The 7 Habits of the Healthy Business Traveler: How to Stay Healthy While Traveling for Business
If you liked this content, please do us a favor share it on social media and click the “like” button below and don’t forget to follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
And, of course, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice and product reviews, you might like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips â the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 27 Amazing Hotel Pillows â the Best Hotel Pillows You can Buy
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- Top Travel Pillows â the best travel pillows for 2019
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 11 Best Hotel Beds â Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- Why Frequent Travelers should buy their Travel Size Toiletries in Bulk!
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler â the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- How to get over jet lag while you travel â 11 Jet Lag Tips for every traveler
- The Mileage Run â A Frequent Flyer Travel Hack You Need to Know
- Best Travel Drone – compare and contrast the top rated drones for travel
- Anker PowerCore 20100 Review â Should I buy?
- Why Frequent Travelers should buy their Travel Size Toiletries in Bulk!
- TSA Food Rules â can you take food on a plane in hand luggage?