The WizGear Universal Air Vent Phone Mount is a removable magnetic phone mount that easily clips to your car’s air vents allowing you to mount a phone for easy viewing (e.g. view your phone’s navigational maps). It’s also the best phone mount for travel, in our opinion.
Continue reading to read the full review, or take our buying recommendation and check the price:
Background – why use a removable phone mount when traveling?
As a frequent business traveler, I often rent cars. Like most travelers, I punch in the address to my hotel (or customer’s site) when I arrive at my destination in my phone and use the on-board navigation system to find my way.
However, most rental cars don’t come with an easy way to mount your phone. This makes safe driving (and navigating) a little challenging. Before investing in the WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount, my phone was flopping around somewhere between my feet having slid off the console I was propping it one.
Or I am driving with one hand trying to read the name of the next intersection.
You might be interested in reading the 9 Secret Rental Car Hacks You Need to Know
Because the WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount is a removable phone mount it’s perfectly suited for travelers. No need to use double sided tape to adhere a more permanent mount to the dashboard of your rental car like you might use on your personal vehicle.
Here is our product review of the WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount.
WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount (Best Phone Mount for Travel) – Mfr Details
Before we dive into the details of our review of the WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount, let’s outline the key facts:
- Make: Wizgear, who makes a plethora of different products that serve this type of use case. Note: I personally have found Wizgear products to be pretty solid, overall. They are never perfect because, after all, they are after market add-ons, but tend to be well made, functional and work as advertised.
- Model: WizGear Universal Air Vent Magnetic Phone Car Mount Holder Phone Holder (B01G0X56YU)
Key Features & Functions of the Universal Air Vent Mount from WizGear
At the highest levels the key features and functions of this phone mount are simple:
- Attaches to your car’s air vent – and is marketed as “universal” – which is likely true given the simple technology it employs – magnets…
- Magnetic allowing you to adhere a thin magnetic plate to your phone for easy use (the product notes that the magnet will not interfere with your signal and I’ve personally never noticed any interference when I’ve used).
- It does note, however, that the magnet will interfere with wireless charging – if your phone supports that.
- Removable – this is the key feature of the WizGear AC Mount. Removability. You can easily add it to your car without damaging it with adhesive. It simply clicks onto an AC vent in your car.
Materials & Construction
- Sturdy rubber base
- Powerful magnet
- Size: 4.1 x 3.3 x 1.5 inches
- Weight: 3.84 ounces
- Color: Black (mostly)
WizGear states in their official marketing for the WizGear Universal AC Phone Mount:
“This high quality rubber construction of the base of the mount is unique and very functional as well. It guarantees that the base of the mount will solidly hold the magnetic head of the mount, to help keep your smartphone in place, regardless of road vibrations or impacts”
- Easily clips & un-clips from your AC vent
- Magnetic head swivels allowing you to rotate your phone for optimal viewing
- The base, however, remains fixed onto the air vent of your car which help keep your phone in your desired position
What’s in the box?
With this particular packaging of the WizGear Universal AC Phone Mount here is what is included:
- 2 WizGear Universal Air Vent Mounts
- 4 Carbon Steel Magnetic Plates (2 rectangular, 2 round) with self sticking tape
How to use the WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount
Using the WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount is straightforward:
- Unpack the contents of your WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount
- Select the appropriate sized magnetic plate for your phone or preference
- Remove adhesive from the steel plate and apply to your phone*
- While in your car, select your desired air vent and inser the WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount into it allowing the rubber arms to firmly seat.
- Mount your phone to the WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount using the magnetic plate
- Put your favorite jam on and start rocking…(or drive to your next destination..lol)
*Note: We tried installing our WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount steel plate under our heavier Otter Box case and were not able to get a good enough magnetic hold. Fortunately, the WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount comes with two sets of plates so we simply mounted it on the outside of the phone case and voila.
Our Opinion of the Wizgear AC Phone Mount
- Very simple, easy to use solution
- Easily portable (toss it in your backpack on your next trip…it doesn’t take up much space)
- Does exactly what it advertises
- The magnet is strong enough to hold the phone easily
- If you have a thicker cell phone case (like I do), then you may have to mount the magnetic plate on the outside of the case – less visually appealing, I suppose, but still functional.
- If your phone is very large (and thus heavy) the Wizgear Phone Mount can start to gently “pull” off the vent a little and your phone can droop down – not the end of the world, but worth noting.
- When you remove the phone from the magnet it can sometimes take the Wizgear Phone Mount with it.
Should I buy the WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount?
Listen, this is not the most critical purchase you will make. Sure, the product could be a little better, I guess, but at the end of the day, it’s a simple tool for a simple use case and the key feature, in my mind, is that it’s portable.
If you were going to use this as your permanent cell phone mount in your car, you might want to go in a different direction. But if you are using like I do when I am renting cars and want to then take it with me when I am done, this is a perfect solution.
Our recommendation is buy.
Final Thoughts on the Wizgear Phone Mount
I hope you’ve enjoyed this product review of the WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount. As noted, we found it to be exactly as advertised. Certainly not perfect in every way, but perfect for my application: portable use when renting cars.
You might also be interested in these other Wizgear products:
And, if you liked this content, please do us a favor share it on social media and click the “like” button below and don’t forget to follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
And, of course, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips – the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 9 Healthy Travel Snacks – eat smarter on the road
- 11 Best Hotel Beds – Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- Product Review: OGIO Metro Backpack, The Business Traveler’s Backpack
- Ultimate Bitcoin Travel Directory: How and where to use crypto for travel
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler – the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- 9 Travel Safety Tips to help you stay safe on your next trip
- The Best Travel Gifts for Her – A Gift Guide for Women Who Love to Travel
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- How to get over jet lag while you travel – 11 Jet Lag Tips for every traveler
- The Mileage Run – A Frequent Flyer Travel Hack You Need to Know
Note: Images courtesy of Wizgear