Syracuse hugs the northeastern portion of the picturesque Finger Lakes region of New York State which remains a popular destination and launching off point for summer or fall vacations. Here are 3 unique things to do in Syracuse NY.
Syracuse is the county seat of Onondaga County, New York. This bustling northeastern city claims a population of over 150,000 residents while the greater metro area hosts nearly three-quarters of a million people. As the fifth-largest city in New York, Syracuse takes its name from the Greek city located in Sicily.
The town is located in the heart of New York State, has its own airport, and provides easy access to the picturesque Finger Lakes region of the state which is always popular with visitors.
Unique Things to do in Syracuse NY
Syracuse is home to a variety of activities for all seasons. However, as a city known for its cold winter months and hot, humid summers, the best time to visit Syracuse is in the spring or fall.
Museum of Intrigue
If a Choose your Own Adventure book, a Haunted House and an Escape Room had a kid they’d have named it the Museum of Intrigue. This nifty attraction offers visitors an immersive experience that is sure to captivate your mind for the afternoon.
“An immersive, interactive playspace for all ages. Find clues, challenge your mind, meet strange characters while navigating highly themed exhibits. Players get to explore the entire space without limits of timers or designated paths. Museum of Intrigue at Destiny USA is the only of its kind in the world.”
The 9000 square foot facility offers group or individual story events across a variety of themes and topics. Booked by the hour, the venue offers a neat escape from traditional vacation activities and could be the highlight of your Syracuse visit!
This small neighborhood on Syracuse’s west side is worth an afternoon of your time. This historic neighborhood has its roots in the early 1800’s given its proximity to the Erie Canal and local railroads. After falling into disrepair the neighborhood underwent a complete transformation. While maintaining its historic charm the area now bustles with shops, eateries, pubs, theaters and more. Be sure to try to the Lemon Grass & Bistro Elephant Steakhouse.
Attend the Great New York State Fair
If you time it right, the Great New York State Fair, held annually in Syracuse, is a one-of-a-kind experience. Even if you miss the annual fair, the fairgrounds are home to a variety of events and attractions including concerts and more. Check out the Dino Safari attraction which is open now.
Dino Safari tickets are available online only now! Purchasing a ticket is easy as 1-2-3.â New York State Fair (@NYSFair) May 1, 2021
1) Go to https://t.co/Csm0ZGFRj5.
2) Pick your date & time
3) Purchase your ticket.
Then be sure to watch the video in the link for fun info before your adventure begins! pic.twitter.com/8E7mlPDyil
Additional things to do in Syracuse
Here are several other interesting things to do on a Syracuse visit.
- Finger Lakes area brewery tour. Have someone drive you around to all the best breweries and taste some fantastic suds.
- Attend the Great New York State Fair. If you time it right, the Great New York State Fair, held annually in Syracuse, is a one-of-a-kind experience.
- Shop at the Syracuse Antiques Exchange. As the largest central New York antique fair, this event promises to be a fun visit if hunting for antique deals floats your boat.
- Watch a show or catch some music at the Landmark Theater. This historic theater routinely hosts great plays and interesting concerts in an incredibly unique setting.
- Visit the Erie Canal Museum. The Erie Canal Museum is located in one of the original buildings used to weigh cargo as it traversed this historic and important canal. Book Tickets Here
Visiting Syracuse New York – final thoughts
A trip to Syracuse can be an entirely memorable experience. As the heart of New York state this city provides an excellent launching off point for a great Finger Lakes adventure while the town itself provides ample opportunities for fun, adventure and learning.
Be sure to check out all the great destinations in Unique Things to Do Series and take take a step out of the ordinary on your next trip.
- Unique Things to do in St George, UT
- Unique Things to do in New York City
- Unique Things to do in Temecula, CA
- Unique Things to do in Grand Rapids, MI
- Unique Things to do in Midway, UT
- Unique Things to do in Key West, FL
- Unique Things to do in Youngstown, OH
- Unique Things to do in Merida, Mexico
- Unique Things to do in Cedar City, UT
- Unique Things to do in Bloomington, IN
- Unique Things to do in Las Vegas, NV
- Unique Things to do in Eugene, OR
- Unique Things to in Cancun, Mexico
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable.
There used to be an quirky museum of the skull and human anatomy, anyone know if that’s still around? In a dental office complex as I recall. If so, well worth it.