Here’s where to find the best carnitas in Sacramento (and the best Mexican food in Sacramento, too!).
I love Mexican food. I pretty much live in THE mecca for Mexican food (Southern CA) so I am beyond spoiled. But when I am traveling I still get that hankering for some carnitas (my fav dish). And aside from the big cities of the East Coast, it’s hard to find really really good Mexican food in places other than SOCAL, AZ, NM and Texas.
However, I stumbled across a very unusual but delicious place while working in Sacramento, CA for an extended period of time: Nena’s Mexican Cuisine; The best Mexican restaurant in Sacramento!
Best Mexican Restaurant in Sacramento (and best Carnitas!)
It’s in a so-so area, and it has the hands-down most unusual exterior I’ve ever seen for a restaurant (not to mention a Mexican restaurant). But don’t let the crazy exterior fool you (yes, those our giant woodcarvings of like Paul Bunyan and a Bear…nuts). Lot of cops and government folks go here as it’s near some government buildings and the CHP.
But, the food is out of this world.Â And, it’s here at Nena’s where I discovered the single greatest Carnitas meal platter I’ve ever eaten.
Carnitas is a tricky meal to make, IMO. I judge the quality of a Mexican restaurant based on their Carnitas meal. The Carnitas here though is unique. It has a the normal succulent pork, seasoned with all kinds of interesting things, simmered in juices and then lightly crisped before serving (crispy burnt ends). But it also features a slight sweetness to it. I don’t know what Nena is putting in her recipe, but it’s a delight to the mouth.
Every trip to Sacramento for me includes a trip to Nena’s.Â If you are ever in Sacramento try the Carnitas platter from Nena’s! Thank me later.
232 Jibboom St
Sacramento, CA 95811
Thanks for Tuning In
If you liked this content, please do us a favor share it on social media and click the “like” button below and don’t forget to follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
And, of course, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice and product reviews, you might like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips â€“ the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 17 Travel Mistakes Rookie Business Travelers Make on their Biz Trips
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- Top Travel Pillows â€“ the best travel pillows for 2019
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 11 Best Hotel Beds â€“ Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- Why Frequent Travelers should buy their Travel Size Toiletries in Bulk!
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler â€“ the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- How to get over jet lag while you travel â€“ 11 Jet Lag Tips for every traveler
- The Mileage Run â€“ A Frequent Flyer Travel Hack You Need to Know
- Best Travel Drone – compare and contrast the top rated drones for travel
- Anker PowerCore 20100 Review â€“ Should I buy?
- 7 Cyber Security Travel Tips: Donâ€™t get hacked on your business trip
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable.