The Wizgear Phone Mount is a removable magnetic cell phone mount that easily clips to your car’s air vents allowing you to mount a phone for easy viewing (e.g. view your phone’s navigational maps).
As a regular business traveler I often rent cars and I am often punching in a hotel address or customer’s office building into my phone’s mapping system. Because most rental cars don’t include cell phone mounts my phone is usually flopping around somewhere at my feet while I try to see the next turn I have to make, or I am driving with one hand trying to read the name of the next intersection.
You might be interested in reading the 9 Secret Rental Car Hacks You Need to Know
Because the Wizgear Phone Mount is a removable cell phone mount it’s perfect suited for travelers. No need to use double sided tape to adhere a more permanent mount to the dashboard of your rental car.
Here is my product review of the Wizgear Phone Mount.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something, I may earn a small commission which comes at no cost to you. Thank you for your support and I hope you enjoy the product review of the Wizgear Phone Mount.
Wizgear Phone Mount – A Product Review
Model: WizGear Universal Air Vent Magnetic Phone Car Mount Holder Phone Holder (B01G0X56YU)
Make: Wizgear, who makes a plethora of different producs that serve this type of use case. I personally have found Wizgear products to be pretty solid, overall. They are never perfect because, after all, they are after market add-ons, but tend to be well made, functional and work as advertised.
- Attaches to your car’s air vent – and is marketed as “universal” – which is likely true given the simple technology it employs
- Is magnetic allowing you to adhere a thin magnetic plate to your phone for easy use (the product notes that the magnet will not interfere with your signal and I’ve personally never noticing anything such as that when I’ve used). It does note, however, that the magnet will interfere with wireless charging – if your phone supports that.
Here are the actual features, as described on Amazon’s website from the mfr:
- “2 PACK AIR VENT MOUNTS: This Air vent universal smartphone magnetic car mount holder is 10 times easier to use than any other magnetic car mount holder due to its simple and complementary design. It has a sturdy rubber base and a powerful magnetic head for holding smartphones. Car Mount iPhone 6, Car mount iphone 6 plus, Car mount holder
- STURDY WIZGEAR AIR VENT: This high quality rubber construction of the base of the mount is unique and very functional as well. It guarantees that the base of the mount will solidly hold the magnetic head of the mount, to help keep your smartphone in place, regardless of road vibrations or impacts.
- SWIVELS YOUR DISPLAY: Rotate your smartphone and swivel your display as you please. The base of the mount remains fixed into the air vent of your car and does not move, no matter how much swiveling or rotation you do. This guarantees that your smartphone will always remain in your preferred position.
- WIZGEAR COMPLEMENTARY DESIGN: The complementary WizGear design of the magnetic mount is one that fits in to the back of any smartphone. The magnetic mount is has a smooth surface that is perfectly suitable for mounting and holding any smartphone in place.
- POWERFUL WIZGEAR MAGNETIC PHONE MOUNT: The reinforced magnetic phone car holder of this mount is what sets it apart from other mounts. This Universal magnetic holder produces an intensive force of attraction that will hold any smartphone. phone holder for car, car phone mount, cell phone holder for car, phone holder, car phone holder, phone car mount.”
My Comments on the Wizgear Phone Mount:
- Very simple, easy to use solution
- Easily portable (toss it in your backpack on your next trip…it doesn’t take up much space)
- Does exactly what it advertises
- The magnet is strong enough to hold the phone easily
- If you have a thicker cell phone case (like I do), then you may have to mount the magnetic plate on the outside of the case – less visually appealing, I supposed, but still functional.
- If your phone is very large (and thus heavy) the Wizgear Phone Mount can start to gently “pull” off the vent a little and your phone can droop down – not the end of the world, but worth noting.
- When you remove the phone from the magnet it can sometimes take the Wizgear Phone Mount with it.
Recommendation: Listen, this is not the most critical purchase you will make. Sure, the product could be a little better, I guess, but at the end of the day, it’s a simple tool for a simple use case and the key feature, in my mind, is that it’s portable.
If you were going to use this as your permanent cell phone mount in your car, you might want to go in a different direction. But if you are using like I do when I am renting cars and want to then take it with me when I am done, this is a perfect solution.
My recommendation is buy.
Where to Buy: Amazon.com sells a 2-pack for less than 10 bucks and you can also pick one up at your local .99 store for less than $5.00.
Final Thoughts on the Wizgear Phone Mount
I hope you’ve enjoyed this product review of the Wizgear Phone Mount. I’ve found it to be exactly as advertised. Certainly not perfect in every way, but perfect for my application: portable use when renting cars.
PS…you might be interested in our other travel product reviews including:
- Product Review: OGIO Metro Backpack, The Business Traveler’s Backpack
- Product Review: Travelpro Luggage Crew 11 21″ Carry-on Expandable Spinner with Suiter and USB Port, Black
- Product Review: FX-Viktaria Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
You might also be interested in these other Wizgear products:
Note: all images in this article are sourced directly from the product page on Amazon.com as part of their affiliate program.