Hertz is one of the largest car rental companies in the world and a well established brand in the rental car industry. It’s rewards program is also a leader. In this article we examine the Hertz Gold benefits to frequent renters and provide an overview of the Hertz Rewards program, more formally known as Hertz Gold Plus Rewards.
April has been all about rental cars and transportation for us here at the CBoardingGroup. For example, we have covered several different topics throughout the month including an analysis of the National Car Rental loyalty program. You can read ALL of our rental car related content here.
Hertz Rewards Program – overview
The Hertz Rewards Program has multiples levels – three to be exact:
- Five Star
- President’s Circle
Each level affords frequent renters increasing benefits. At the highest levels, the more you spend or rent the faster you move through the levels and consequently get to take advantage of greater benefits.
Hertz Gold Benefits
The first level of the Hertz Rewards Program is known as Hertz Gold. Renters can sign up for this level for free with no minimum rentals.
Qualification Requirement: None. Free
The Hertz Gold Benefits include:
- Points (renters earn 1 point for each dollar spent)
- Ability to skip the counter when renting from Hertz (a big benefit for frequent renters looking to avoid standing in line or wasting time
- No additional driver charge
- Discounts on child car seat rentals (if needed)
- Access to the Ultimate Choice line (more on this in a moment)
- 1 month free trial to the CLEAR program*
- Ability to E-Return
- No Blackout dates for using Rewards
- Ability to earn rewards with other brands
- Access to the Experiential Benefits program
As with all levels (and most rental car rewards programs) the Hertz Rewards Program allows frequent renters to redeem their points for various rewards including free or discounted rentals.
NOTE: Must do one rental to qualify for Clear, see graphic below which came up after I signed up for Hertz Gold and then tried to get my CLEAR trial going:
Hertz Five Star Benefits
The next level up in the Hertz Rewards Program is the Hertz Five Star level. Here, frequent renters are treated to enhanced benefits in the Hertz system.
Qualification Requirement: Spend $2,400 or 12 rentals (not days, rentals)*
Hertz Five Star Benefits include all of the Gold level benefits plus some additional benefits or expansion of Gold level benefits:
- Upgrades to a larger / nicer class of car – when available
- 25% point acceleration bonus (spend $1 and earn 1.25 points)
- Ultimate Choice (Wider Selection) Choose any vehicle in the “Five Star” section of the Hertz Ultimate Choice lot for no extra charge
- CLEAR trial is 2 months long
- Ability to transfer points to other partners
- Experiental Benefits Access (see section on this farther down in the article)
*resets on January 1 of the following year.
You might be interested in Travel Tip Tuesday #7: Get an AC Mounted Magnetic Cell Phone Holder for your Rental Car
Hertz President’s Circle Benefits
The highest level in the Hertz Rewards Program is Hertz President’s Circle. Here, renters get the maximum level of rewards available to frequent rentals.
Qualification Requirement: Spend $4,000 or 20 rentals
The Hertz President’s Circle benefits include all of the preceding benefit levels with a few new benefits and expansion of other bennys:
- 50% point bonus ($1 = 1.5 points)
- Ultimate Choice (Widest Selection) Renters can choose any vehicle in the President’s Circle section of the Hertz Ultimate Choice lot for no additional charge
- No additional driver fee for a spouse or domestic partner in the U.S.
- CLEAR trial is 4 months long
- Experiental Benefits Access
- Hertz Valet – Take advantage of our terminal drive-back service at participating locations up to four times a year
- Dedicated Call Center line
The Hertz Ultimate Choice program is similar to National Car Rental’s “pick any car and go” program. It allows renters to choose any car they want from their assigned zone.
When picking up your car from Hertz at time of rental simply go to the appropriately labeled zone on your reservation and select the car you want.
Ultimate Choice applies to all Hertz customers regardless of whether you are signed up for the Hertz Rewards Program or not, however, loyalty program members may qualify for upgrades based on status.
Hertz Experiences (aka Hertz Plus)
The Hertz Experience program (also known as Hertz Plus) is a destination and adventure themed offering for Hertz customers. Through a partnership with PlacePass, Hertz customers can book experiences at theme parks, or off road adventures, cooking classes, etc.
It is very similar to Airbnb Experiences.
Customers do NOT need to be Hertz Gold members to purchase experiences, but for folks who are members of the Hertz Rewards program can use points to pay for some or all of a Hertz Experience.
Using Hertz Gold Points
Frequent renters can use their status and Hertz Reward Program points to earn free rental car days (or for Hertz Plus Experiences as noted earlier).
Signing up for Hertz Rewards Program
Signing up for the Hertz Rewards program is quite easy. It took me all of two minutes to register and you need to have your driver’s license and credit card handy (although they do NOT charge you, you still need to provide a card which will be used for future rentals).
Hertz does not send you a membership card so you will either need to write your member number down, memorize it, or print out the card from their website.
Hertz Mobile App
Hertz has a mobile application for both iPhone and Android Platforms. Renters can use it to book a reservation, assist with parking and more. Here are some sample screenshots:
Hertz Current Fleet
Hertz’s fleet is fairly modern consisting of a mix of Chevys, Fords and Dodge/Chrysler along with some higher end options from BMW and Mercedes. See the images below for a sampling and click here to view the full, and current list.
Hertz Car Sales
Like many rental car companies, Hertz offers used rental cars for sale. Visit their >car sales website for more information.
Final Thoughts on Hertz Gold Benefits & the Hertz Rewards Program in General
If you liked this content, please do us a favor share it on social media and click the “like” button below and don’t forget to follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
And, of course, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips – the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 9 Healthy Travel Snacks – eat smarter on the road
- 11 Best Hotel Beds – Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- Product Review: OGIO Metro Backpack, The Business Traveler’s Backpack
- Ultimate Bitcoin Travel Directory: How and where to use crypto for travel
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler – the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- 9 Travel Safety Tips to help you stay safe on your next trip
- The Best Travel Gifts for Her – A Gift Guide for Women Who Love to Travel
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- How to get over jet lag while you travel – 11 Jet Lag Tips for every traveler
- The Mileage Run – A Frequent Flyer Travel Hack You Need to Know