Advertiser Disclosure: CBoardingGroup has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. CBoardingGroup and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable. See our privacy & disclosure page for more info
This week’s travel tip is about saving a few shekels when traveling. For our business traveler audience you all know that sometimes it is nice to grab a trinket or two for your kids. Same goes when you are on vacation. And there is no shortage of overpriced souvenir shops. I suggest you skip the pricey swag in souvenir shop and find yourself a big box store to save a few bucks.
Usually we focus in on a specific travel topic for our weekly Travel Tip Tuesday posts. However, for the month of October we are winging it! Anything goes! Each Tuesday we will do a deep dive into something travel related but unlike most months we could land anywhere…be sure to read all of the preceding Travel Tip Tuesday’s here.
Travel Tip Tuesday #40 – Skip the Souvenir Shop and find a Walmart
Airport souvenir shops are notoriously expensive! Samesies with Hotel gifts shops or pretty much any gifts or souvenir shop. Usually crazy expensive.
As someone who travelers for work quite I bit I like to snag the occasional trinket for my kids. I don’t do it on every trip, but occasionally it is fun to surprise the kiddos with something from Maine or South Dakota or Poland or wherever I am traveling for work.
However, to save some money I will try to visit a local Walmart or other similar store and buy something local there (like a I Heart NYC shirt or a South Dakota magnet).
I don’t always do this. Sometimes the trinket is unique enough to buy it from a specific gift shop, but often it’s not. You could spend 25.00 for a “What happens in Vegas” shirt at the MGM gift shop or swing over to a local Target and snag it for $12.00.
Often it pretty much the same thing.
And yeah, I get it, some of you will gripe that I am not supporting local business and to a certain extent that is true. But that is NOT true if you are comparing an airport convenience shop or Hilton gift shop (not a small company, right?) to something you snagged at Kmart (although..haha…is Kmart a small business these days??? Too Soon??? HA..).
That said, I do make an effort to find locally owned businesses whenever it makes sense, but I certainly don’t limit myself to only those. Especially when you have 4 kids! (Like I do).
So, next time you are traveling (for work or pleasure) save a few bucks and pick up that souvenir somewhere other than the place selling $4.00 candy bars.
Speaking of buying gifts, Christmas is just around the corner…we’ve got you covered in our 2019 Holiday Gift Guide for Travelers….you are welcome.
Thanks for reading this week
We are always grateful for your visits each and every week and we’d really love it if you’d follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Or, join the conversation and leave us a comment below, too. We love comments.
For those readers interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might be like these great articles:
- 23 Jobs with Travel – the ultimate list of travel jobs (that will take you around the world)
- The Bulkhead Seat on a plane – what are the pros and cons?
- 47 Best Travel Books of all Time – the Ultimate List of Books to Read while Traveling
- Best Packing Cubes – find the top packing cubes for 2019 that everyone is buying!
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- Product Review WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount (Best Phone Mount for Travel)
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 10 Practical Tips to Survive the Airplane Middle Seat
- Travel Memes – a funny look at life on the road
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- Checked baggage vs carry on – what’s actually best?
- The Best (and most essential) Travel Workout Gear for the Frequent Traveler
- Can I Bring a Razor in my Carry On? Checked luggage?
- Can you bring deodorant on a plane?
- Best Travel Drones – Comparison & Analysis
- Alaska Airlines Drone Policy – just the facts please
- Southwest Airlines Drone Policy – does Southwest Airlines Luv your drone?