Advertiser Disclosure: CBoardingGroup has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. CBoardingGroup and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable. See our privacy & disclosure page for more info
New restrictions will soon be in place on the infamous “selfie runway” at Phuket International Airport. Readers are probably familiar with the photos of tourists on a beach snapping a selfie while a landing plane flies mere feet above their heads.
According to Bangkok News, airport officials are creating a new safety zone around the landing area preceding the runway that’s popular with tourists.
Mai Khao beach is the area in question and a portion of the beach is directly in the landing path of planes headed for Phuket International Airport.
Long regarded as a must-see stop for tourists, Phuket airport officials have grown increasingly concerned about the safety of tourists and finally decided to clamp down more forcefully.
Under the Thai Air Navigation Act violators could be subject to the maxium penalty under law which is death. Yeah, you read the right. The death penalty.
Instagrammers and social media influencers all just shuddered a little…how are they going to get their bikini-jump-airplane-landing-gear-selfie now!? <snark>
Maybe Thai Officials could come up a safe “selfie area” that would allow them to generate some tourist buzz / revenue. Just a thought.
For more travel related news, check out our travel news section.
If you liked this content, please do us a favor share it on social media and click the “like” button below and don’t forget to follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
And, of course, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips – the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 9 Healthy Travel Snacks – eat smarter on the road
- 11 Best Hotel Beds – Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- Product Review: OGIO Metro Backpack, The Business Traveler’s Backpack
- Ultimate Bitcoin Travel Directory: How and where to use crypto for travel
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler – the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- 9 Travel Safety Tips to help you stay safe on your next trip
- The Best Travel Gifts for Her – A Gift Guide for Women Who Love to Travel
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- How to get over jet lag while you travel – 11 Jet Lag Tips for every traveler
- The Mileage Run – A Frequent Flyer Travel Hack You Need to Know
- Best Travel Drone – compare and contrast the top rated drones for travel
- Top Travel Pillows – the best travel pillows for 2019
- What’s a young driver fee & what’s the best under 25 Car Rental Company?
- Anker PowerCore 20100 Review – Should I buy?