Advertiser Disclosure: CBoardingGroup has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. CBoardingGroup and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable. See our privacy & disclosure page for more info
This April we are focusing Travel Tip Tuesday’s on Rental Cars. Last week we talked about how to deal with fuel when renting a car. This week we are talking another little extra you definitely don’t need when renting a car: a GPS.
Did you know you can read all of the preceding Travel Tip Tuesday’s here.
Travel Tip Tuesday: Save the Dough, forego the GPS
They revolutionized the driving experience. No more did we have to rely on MapQuest and print out our directions. Instead we could simply give ourselves to the robotic voice directing us exactly where to turn.
However, then Apple and Google turned that industry on it’s head by simply building it directly into the smartphone. And just like that made a whole class of products largely irrelevant.
Rental Car companies had went all-in on the portable navigation craze offering a value add service (fee-based in most cases) for their drivers. Now many of them have a stockpile of them…also gathering dust.
While many rental car companies no longer offer them, several still do (like Avis…of course Avis would offer something archaic). And they are willing to charge you. Don’t fall for this trap.
Just use your phone. This seems self obvious, but you’d be surprised. Seriously, save the dough and skip the GPS when renting a car.
Instead, buy yourself a rental car gadget you can actually use. Something like an Air Conditioner Mounted Magnetic Phone Holder. Then you can mount your phone (with it’s GPS app in full display) and actually see where you are supposed to turn while driving.
We actually covered this topic in great detail last month during our focus on Travel Gadgets. Check it out: Travel Tip Tuesday #7: Get an AC Mounted Magnetic Cell Phone Holder for your Rental Car
Thanks for tuning in this week
Check back next Tuesday for another practical travel tip related to rental cars.
If you can’t wait, check out our 9 Secret Rental Car Hacks You Need to Know
For readers interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might be like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips – the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 9 Healthy Travel Snacks – eat smarter on the road
- Ultimate Bitcoin Travel Directory: How and where to use crypto for travel
- 11 Best Hotel Beds – Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- 7 Habits of the Healthy Business Traveler: How to Stay Healthy While Traveling for Business
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler – the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- 9 Travel Safety Tips to help you stay safe on your next trip
- The Best Travel Gifts for Her – A Gift Guide for Women Who Love to Travel
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition