Advertiser Disclosure: CBoardingGroup has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. CBoardingGroup and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable. See our privacy & disclosure page for more info
Several years ago a business trip took to me Pennsylvania. The headquarters of the company I was working for was in State College, PA and so I spent a lot of time in and out of various PA airports (PIT, SCE, MDT) and at different hotels across the state. But this trip was different. I got the full travel horror story treatment!
Travel Horror Story: Dirty Sheets in the Hotel Room (really dirty)
From the outset the trip was a mess and it brought me in late. Very late. My flights were delayed, the drive to the hotel was long, traffic ugly and I still had work to do! We were working on a proposal that needed my edits that night so I had some more work ahead of me.
After I checked into the hotel and got to the room I immediately started to follow my routine (I a normally do; see my 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler for my advice on adopting a routine). I quickly set my clothes out, ironed them, laid out my toiletries, pre-loaded my coffee machine, etc. — all while fighting the urge to crash.
Then, I then fired up my laptop, sat down in my skivvies to do the last bit of work I needed to get done. After 20-30 minutes, the work was done. I folded the laptop and made my way to the bed. I was toast. Absolutely done. It must have been after midnight by now. Sleep was on my mind.
BTW…ever wondered how to make your bed at home look like a hotel bed? Here’s a great video that helps you replicate that hotel bed experience (w/out the dirty sheets…):
However, after pulling back the bed cover it became very apparent these sheets had not been changed. Very apparent! SUPER GROSS.
I was in a bit of quandary. On any other night, I’d have just asked to the hotel to switch rooms, and maybe scored something nice like an upgrade. But at this point, I am unpacked, ready for the next day, in my underwear, and dog-tired. And it’s after midnight. There is no way I am packing all of this up.
Speaking of hotel beds…when they are not gross…they are usually pretty comfortable. Check out 11 Hotel Beds – where to find that Hotel Mattress you Slept on Last Night
So, like a good Marine…I suck it up. Basically, I pulled the spare blanket out of the closet and laid it over the top of bed. Then used my heavy winter coat as a blanket…and passed the heck out. I’ve slept in worse places. But it was still pretty gross.
I can’t remember if I mentioned it to the hotel staff the next day. I am sure I did. Anyway…I didn’t stay at that Hampton Inn anymore. #Nope. Marine or not, that’s gross. What do you think you’d have done?
Read the 9 Myths of Frequent Business Travel and find out why it’s not all glitz and glam
What’s your grossest hotel story!? Drop us a comment or tweet us. We’d love to hear it!
If you liked this content, please do us a favor share it on social media and click the “like” button below and don’t forget to follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
And, of course, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice and product reviews, you might like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips â the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 17 Travel Mistakes Rookie Business Travelers Make on their Biz Trips
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- Top Travel Pillows â the best travel pillows for 2019
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 11 Best Hotel Beds â Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- Why Frequent Travelers should buy their Travel Size Toiletries in Bulk!
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler â the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- How to get over jet lag while you travel â 11 Jet Lag Tips for every traveler
- The Mileage Run â A Frequent Flyer Travel Hack You Need to Know
- Best Travel Drone – compare and contrast the top rated drones for travel
- Anker PowerCore 20100 Review â Should I buy?
- 7 Cyber Security Travel Tips: Donât get hacked on your business trip