As a frequent business traveler I am often in the air and in a different time zone. Last week alone I hit 4 time zones as I flitted around the country (Chicago, Orlando, Phoenix, and of course my home state of CA). The takeoff nap is a trick I use to recharge my body’s batteries, if you will, and get a little energy back in the tank for the next leg of my trip.
It’s all about air travel this month! For the month of July we are bringing you air travel and airplane related travel tips and hacks.Â Be sure to tune back in each Tuesday for the next tip. And, you can read all of the preceding Travel Tip Tuesday’s here.Â
Travel Tip Tuesday Tip #26 – The Takeoff Nap
If you travel for work you live a unique life. You likely spend vast amounts of time in hotels, airplane lounges, rental car shuttles, and oh yesâ€¦airplane seats.
Interested in learning more about the business travel life? Check out myÂ explanation of just what it means to take a job with regular travel.Â
You also probably spend a fair amount of time being tired. Maybe itâ€™sÂ jet lag (click here to learn how to fight jet lag). Maybe you are just tired because you are in a new time zone. Maybe you couldnâ€™t sleep last night in your crummy hotel bed!
If that werenâ€™t bad enough, business travelers are often interacting with customers. This means you have to be â€œon.â€ In other words, you have to be on your game, putting your best face forward to your client. Laugh at their jokes. Be interested in their kidâ€™s college major, etc.
It can be exhausting!
And no amount of coffee can keep you going forever.
Hereâ€™s where my favorite business travel hack saves the day.
A takeoff nap is that delicious moment when your tired butt sinks into your airplane seat after a long day (or on a super early morning flight), you put yourÂ noise canceling headphonesÂ on, your eyes get heavy, and you slip off into a light sleep.
You are groggily awoken by the airplaneâ€™s bell dinging to inform everyone you are now at 10,000 feet, or by the flight attendant bumping you as they pass you with that cup of burnt coffee you so desperately realize you now want.
Speaking of coffee you might enjoy my humorous take/rant onÂ coffee and the business traveler!
If you are like me you have trouble sleeping on a plane. Thereâ€™s no chance I am falling completely asleep for a significant amount of time. Nopeâ€¦not gonna happen.
But a takeoff nap?Â Thatâ€™s the kind of business travel hack I can get behind! Continued…below
Here is some Amazing Air Travel Related Gear to make your next flight or trip that much sweeter! Enjoy!
The takeoff nap gives youÂ just enough sleepÂ to take the edge off a long day. A nice reboot to jump start your last push of the day to get home to your family or that little burst of energy to supercharge your day before you meet with your customer later that morning.
You might enjoy:Â Travel Tip Tuesday #10: Travel Pillow for Sleeping on a Plane
I am always envious of those that can actually sleep on a plane. With a takeoff nap you usually arenâ€™t really falling completely asleep. Just a little power nap, if you will.
I love it! And frankly,Â I need itÂ most days.
Here are some more Air Travel Tips and Tricks
Since you stopped in, I’d encourage you check out these other articles we’ve written about air travel:
- 147 Business Travel Tips â€“ the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- Top Travel Pillows â€“ the best travel pillows for 2019
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler â€“ the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- Product Review: Travelpro Luggage Crew 11 21â€³ Carry-on Expandable Spinner with Suiter and USB Port, Black
Thanks for tuning in to Travel Tip Tuesday again
Thanks for tuning in this week! Please check back each Tuesday for a new travel tip.Â This July we are focusing on air travel tips and tricks.
For readers interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might be like these great articles:
- Best Packing Cubes â€“ find the top packing cubes for 2019 that everyone is buying!
- Baiji Bottle Review â€“ A Popular Collapsible Travel Water Bottle
- Best Travel Drones â€“ Comparison & Analysis
- Product Review WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount (Best Phone Mount for Travel)
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 10 Practical Tips to Survive the Airplane Middle Seat
- Travel Memes – a funny look at life on the road
- 9 Travel Safety Tips to help you stay safe on your next trip
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable.