It happens. You leave a toothbrush at home, or maybe that new travel size shaving cream bottle (you can picture it sitting on your kitchen counter). Dangit! Now what? It’s 7:00 AM and you need to drag that razor across your face and get to a meeting with a customer. There’s no time to run out to the store.
No worries…we gotÂ you covered. In this week’s travel tip Tuesday post we are looking at what to do ifÂ you forget a toiletry (or run out) while traveling.
Each Tuesday share a unique or interesting travel tidbit so be sure toÂ read all of the preceding Travel Tip Tuesday’s here.Â
Travel Tip Tuesday #42 -Â What to do if you forget a toiletry while traveling?
If you’ve forgotten a toiletry item or perhaps run out while on a trip there’s a few possible solutions to consider.
Your Hotel May Just Save the Day
You think you’re the first person to forget their toothpaste? Hardly. Hotels almost always have a few toiletry essentials for you. You can nearly guarantee that they will have:
- Shaving cream
- Disposable razor
They probably won’t have things like hair gel or hair spray. Nope, for that you are on your own. And they likely won’t have aftershave.
Use what you got in the hotel room
If you are like me you usually realize you forgot your aftershave right after finishing shaving. This means you are standing in your hotel bathroom buck-ass naked (sorry…I know you won’t be able to get that visual out of your head…) with shave cream still hanging off your ear.
Here’s where a little trick I’ve learned can save the day. Most hotel rooms have lotion. And aftershave is really just special lotion.
But, in a pinch, you can use the hotel lotion as aftershave.
It’s not nearly as good as real aftershave, and often you will need to go get some real aftershave, but it can do in an emergency. Also, you will probably smelly like a eucalyptus tree…sigh. That sucks.
You can also use the shampoo or lotion as shaving cream too. I’ve ran out of my travel shave cream before or simply forgot it and you can use shampoo, body wash or lotion to get the job done.
Go out or go without
The worst case is that you have to run out to the store. Less ideal, for sure, but it’s an option. If you’ve forgotten something crucial (like your special eyeliner or your specific hair gel) you are heading out or going with out. No two ways about it.
That’s why in my 147 Business Travel Tips I recommend setting your toiletry gear out the night before. I array it on the counter of my hotel bathroom. If I am missing something I can easily spot it and have a chance to deal with it the night before my important work travel meeting the next day.
Speaking of toiletry tips I also recommend travelers buy their toiletries in bulk. Read here to learn how you can save big money on your travel hygiene gear by buying bigger quantities.
Christmas is just around the corner…we’ve got you covered in our 2019 Holiday Gift Guide for Travelers….you are welcome.
Thanks for reading this week
As always, we are incredibly grateful for your visits each and every week. So, once again, thanks for stopping in! By the way, we’d really love it if you’d follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Or, join the conversation and leave us a comment below, too. We love comments.
For readers interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might be like these great articles:
- 23 Jobs with Travel â€“ the ultimate list of travel jobs (that will take you around the world)
- Airport Travel Tips – get through the airport faster
- 47 Best Travel Books of all Time â€“ the Ultimate List of Books to Read while Traveling
- Best Packing Cubes â€“ find the top packing cubes for 2019 that everyone is buying!
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- Product Review WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount (Best Phone Mount for Travel)
- 10 Practical Tips to Survive the Airplane Middle Seat
- Travel Memes – a funny look at life on the road
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- Checked baggage vs carry on â€“ whatâ€™s actually best?
- The Best (and most essential) Travel Workout Gear for the Frequent Traveler
- Can I Bring a Razor in my Carry On? Checked luggage?
- Can you bring deodorant on a plane?
- Best Travel Drones â€“ Comparison & Analysis
- Alaska Airlines Drone Policy â€“ just the facts please
- Southwest Airlines Drone Policy â€“ does Southwest Airlines Luv your drone?
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable.