Advertiser Disclosure: CBoardingGroup has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. CBoardingGroup and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable. See our privacy & disclosure page for more info
I’ve had the privilege of traveling all over most of this great country for work. I’ve seen some great places and some not so great places. Truth be told, most places have good things about them and sometimes even surprise you. In this post I am sharing what I think is the best big city to visit while on a business trip. In a subsequent post I will talk about the best small city.
For my money, there is no better “big city” to visit than the Big Apple.
I’ve visited every major large city in the US over the years so come from a place of some experience here. Several years back, though, I had the chance to work in NYC for about 2 weeks a month for almost 2 years. In addition to blasting through all of my loyalty status levels pretty quickly, I fell in love w/ New York.
It’s a crazy big city jammed full of people and traffic and steel. There’s a buzz to it. You can almost feel it. With that much time on my hands you have to get out and see the place.
I got really good at the subway system, able to navigate it with ease. Learned how to properly hail cabs and tell them where I am going. Even learned the city streets.
I ventured into various neighborhoods and sampled great food. Places like China Town, Brooklyn, the Bronx (not a great neighborhood) and Harlem. For my money the best meal (and Pizza) in NYC is at Lombardis. But Grimaldis is a close second.
I visited a great Indian restaurant w/ a Pakistani colleague and tasted the hottest Vindaloo in the universe. Couldn’t finish it.
I hit the old Yankee Stadium (and I HATE the Yankees) while A-Rod was sitting on 499 homers. Sat in right field (which is an experience) and had the single greatest baseball game experience of my life (and I HATE the Yankees). A-Rod didn’t hit his 500th.
I made it to the Mets Stadium which was ok, but no Yankee Stadium. Visited Greenwich Village, saw some crazy open mic poetry set to Jazz (crazy awesome). Visited all of the major tourist stuff. Brought the family one one business trip and did more tourist stuff.
I got scammed by a scalper trying to get into an AC-DC concert (that’s a 100 bux I won’t get back). Hit the Empire State Building which was pretty awesome (I am big Art Deco guy). Central Park. Brooklyn Bridge and lots of other local places that I can’t even remember but were pretty awesome.
They say NYC people are rude, and I guess they are. But I found it enduring in a strange way. I could not imagine raising a family in NYC, but if I were single, there’s about a 98% chance I’d be living in NYC.
No other city comes even close. I used to say I would rather fly to NYC than drive to LA (I live about a 1.5 to 4 hours away depending on traffic).
What’s your favorite big city?
If you liked this content, please do us a favor share it on social media and click the “like” button below and don’t forget to follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
And, of course, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice and product reviews, you might like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips – the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 17 Travel Mistakes Rookie Business Travelers Make on their Biz Trips
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- Top Travel Pillows – the best travel pillows for 2019
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 11 Best Hotel Beds – Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- Why Frequent Travelers should buy their Travel Size Toiletries in Bulk!
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler – the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- How to get over jet lag while you travel – 11 Jet Lag Tips for every traveler
- The Mileage Run – A Frequent Flyer Travel Hack You Need to Know
- Best Travel Drone – compare and contrast the top rated drones for travel
- Anker PowerCore 20100 Review – Should I buy?
- 7 Cyber Security Travel Tips: Don’t get hacked on your business trip