This post won’t be popular with many of you. Some of you will flat out disagree with me. But that’s ok, it’s your right to be totally wrong. Haha.
Fact is, a great many of you (I would suggest probably between 60-70% of you) will actually agree with me. Especially the hard core business travelers among us.
Let me explain.
Checking your bag is one of the dumbest things you can do
Do you like wasting time? If so, check your bag. It literally adds time on the front and back end of your trip and not just at the airport.
The obvious time wasters are having the wait in a line to check a bag before you board your flight (and sure, if you have status or are flying first or business class that can be sped up a bit). It’s especially painful when you get to you destination and you have to wait for your bag to come trickling down the baggage claim shoot. By some accounts, checking a bag could add an extra 30 minutes to your travel experience.
But I suggest it’s more. People who check their bag often check a larger bag, one that you can’t carry on. As such, they are packing more stuff which takes more time. More time wasted.
You also have to lug that heavier bag around with you. That slows you down.
While this happens rarely these days checking your bag introduces some risk that your bag will get lost. To be fair, this really doesn’t happen all that often.
Checking a bag also means that some baggage handler is going to toss it like a discus throw in the Olympics? Why take the chance of damaging that beautiful piece of TravelPro Luggage you got on Black Friday?
I am on the road almost every week, traveling all over the world. No serious business traveler checks his or her bag and if so it’s for extremely unusual circumstances (like they are traveling with tools or something bulky like a tradeshow stand or something).
Nope, any business traveler who checks his or her bag on a regular basis is still bush league.
If one of my employees is traveling with me and checks his or her bag it’s time to consider whether they should be employed with me anymore…haha. Seriously…what are you doing??
What you should do is learn how to pack lighter. Waayyyy lighter. Ima guess you really don’t need all that extra crap. In fact, no you don’t.
But, hey, if you wanna keep checking your bag like a goon that’s fine with me. That means more bin space for me and you watch me fly by you at the baggage claim while you play another round of angry birds on your phone waited for your busted ass bag to come tumbling down the baggage chute. Good luck…
I feel like you didn’t change my mind…haha
I am gonna go out on a limb here and suggest you have zero chance of changing my mind. But, I’d still love to hear your thoughts, opinions and complete balderdash ideas. Drop us a comment below, tweet this or share it on Facebook and let the debates begin.
If you liked this content, please do us a favor share it on social media and click the “like” button below and don’t forget to follow us on social media including Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
And, of course, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice and product reviews, you might like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips – the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 27 Amazing Hotel Pillows – the Best Hotel Pillows You can Buy
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- Top Travel Pillows – the best travel pillows for 2019
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 11 Best Hotel Beds – Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- Why Frequent Travelers should buy their Travel Size Toiletries in Bulk!
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler – the Best Business Travel Hacks
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- The Mileage Run – A Frequent Flyer Travel Hack You Need to Know
- Anker PowerCore 20100 Review – Should I buy?
- TSA Food Rules – can you take food on a plane in hand luggage?
- Beats Solo 3 Wireless Review Are these Beats Travel Headphones worth the money?
- How to get through Airport Security Faster with these practical TSA Tips (Travel Tip Tuesday #29)
- The Top 5 Grand Rapids Breweries – the beer scene is strong!
- What’s a young driver fee & what’s the best under 25 Car Rental Company?
- TSA Drone Policy – do they have one?
- United Airlines Drone Policy
- Southwest Airlines Drone Policy
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable.