In this month’s final Travel Tip Tuesday post we are highlighting the value of frequent flyer programs. Airline loyalty can reap you big rewards (and not just in points/miles). I this week’s Travel Tip Tuesday we are reminding users to invest in and stick with an airline’s frequent flyer program.
This month we’ve been highlighting airplane travel hacks and tips. Here’s what we’ve covered so far:
- Travel Tip Tuesday #24: Bring Wet Wipes to de-grossify your seat area
- Travel Tip Tuesday #25: Stow your bags, get out of the aisle and take your seat already!
- Travel Tip Tuesday #26: Use a Takeoff Nap to recharge your energy levels
- Travel Tip Tuesday #27: Be careful with your layover times
And, you can read all of the preceding Travel Tip Tuesday’s here.
Travel Tip Tuesday Tip #28 – Always Sign up for the Frequent Flyer Program (and then stick with that airline!)
Frequent travelers already know this trick – especially the really savvy ones. They typically will travel one airlines for almost all of their travel. For example, my former boss only flies American. My current boss is a United gal, and I prefer Southwest. Yes, occasionally we will “cheat” on our preferred airline but it is usually the exception and usually cost or route related.
For example, when I fly to Seattle (from Socal) often it’s Alaska Airline tickets that are the cheapest and not Southwest. If the fare disparity is small I will usually stick with Southwest, but if it’s big enough to really matter I will choose the cheaper Alaska flight.
Some of this will depend on your company’s travel policy. Many companies require you to take THE cheapest flight. Other’s are more reasonable as long as YOU are reasonable and don’t abuse the system. And the savvy travelers will monkey with they travel times to help get their preferred airline choice.
Sticking with a single airline (and signing up for their frequent flyer program) can bring the frequent traveler meaningful benefits. Never mind the points and miles you will collect which can be used for free flights, perks or other goods, but the status you will accrue can make your travel that much easier.
As an example, I mentioned earlier that I prefer to fly Southwest. Now, as an A-List member I get priority boarding passes (regardless of when I check in) which, if you know anything about Southwest, is a big deal. I also earn points faster the higher up the Southwest food chain I am. The highest level, A-List Preferred, offers even more benefits that can really make travel a lot easier.
You might be interested in: 14 Travel Hacks for Picking the Best Seat on a Southwest Flight or how about It’s my first time flying Southwest – what should I expect?
Each airline has it’s own program, rules and procedures, but they all generally share the same principles: sign up, fly a lot, earn status, get benefits. Some airlines will move you higher up the “upgrade” list which could mean you get a seat with more leg room or even a first class upgrade. On a long haul flight the extra leg room could be the difference between travel hell and travel “ok this isn’t so bad” land…
If you’ve not read our 147 Business Travel Tips – the Road Warrior’s Guide to Business Travel…what are you doing!?!? Get on it! 🙂
Here is some Amazing Air Travel Related Gear to make your next flight or trip that much sweeter! Enjoy!
And even if you are cheating on your favorite airline – sign up for the program and check out their credit card! Many times you can earn enough points, over time, and/or with a credit card offer to pay for a free flight. And, many times you can transfer your points somewhere else where you can use them more effectively.
The moral of story? Always, always, always sign up for the frequent flyer program and whenever possible, stick with a single airline. Rinse and repeat and watch your travel blues disappear!
Here are some more Air Travel Tips and Tricks
Since you stopped in, I’d encourage you check out these other articles we’ve written about air travel:
- 147 Business Travel Tips – the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- Top Travel Pillows – the best travel pillows for 2019
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler – the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- Product Review: Travelpro Luggage Crew 11 21″ Carry-on Expandable Spinner with Suiter and USB Port, Black
Thanks for tuning in to Travel Tip Tuesday again
Thanks for tuning in this week! Please check back each Tuesday for a new travel tip. This July we are focusing on air travel tips and tricks.
For readers interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might be like these great articles:
- Best Packing Cubes – find the top packing cubes for 2019 that everyone is buying!
- Baiji Bottle Review – A Popular Collapsible Travel Water Bottle
- Best Travel Drones – Comparison & Analysis
- Product Review WizGear Universal Air Vent Mount (Best Phone Mount for Travel)
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 10 Practical Tips to Survive the Airplane Middle Seat
- Travel Memes – a funny look at life on the road
- 9 Travel Safety Tips to help you stay safe on your next trip
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable.