Advertiser Disclosure: CBoardingGroup has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. CBoardingGroup and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn commissions from other affiliate programs as applicable. See our privacy & disclosure page for more info
Ah, yes…the takeoff nap. One of my favorite parts of the day when I am traveling – and one of my favorite “business travel hacks.” When my exhausted, jet lagged road warrior body sinks into that airplane seat and my eyes flutter closed to the soft roar of the jet engines, I know a recharge is right around the corner. Courtesy of the takeoff nap.
If you’ve been following my blog, CBoardingGroup.com you know I travel for work a lot…like a lot lot!
And, I write about this a lot too (e.g. 147 Business Travel Tips, or Mileage Runs – the Frequent Flyer Travel Hack you need to know).
But, today I wanted to share one of my personal favorite travel hacks of all time with you. Let me explain.
My Favorite Business Travel Hack – the Takeoff Nap
If you travel for work you live a unique life. You likely spend vast amounts of time in hotels, airplane lounges, rental car shuttles, and oh yes…airplane seats.
Interested in learning more about the business travel life? Check out my explanation of just what it means to take a job with regular travel.
You also probably spend a fair amount of time being tired. Maybe it’s jet lag (click here to learn how to fight jet lag). Maybe you are just tired because you are in a new time zone. Maybe you couldn’t sleep last night in your crummy hotel bed!
If that weren’t bad enough, business travelers are often interacting with customers. This means you have to be “on.” In other words, you have to be on your game, putting your best face forward to your client. Laugh at their jokes. Be interested in their kid’s college major, etc.
It can be exhausting!
And no amount of coffee can keep you going forever.
Here’s where my favorite business travel hack saves the day.
A takeoff nap is that delicious moment when your tired butt sinks into your airplane seat after a long day (or on a super early morning flight), you put your noise canceling headphones on, your eyes get heavy, and you slip off into a light sleep.
You are groggily awoken by the airplane’s bell dinging to inform everyone you are now at 10,000 feet, or by the flight attendant bumping you as they pass you with that cup of burnt coffee you so desperately realize you now want.
Speaking of coffee you might enjoy my humorous take/rant on coffee and the business traveler!
If you are like me you have trouble sleeping on a plane. There’s no chance I am falling completely asleep for a significant amount of time. Nope…not gonna happen.
But a takeoff nap? That’s the kind of business travel hack I can get behind!
The takeoff nap gives you just enough sleep to take the edge off a long day. A nice reboot to jump start your last push of the day to get home to your family or that little burst of energy to supercharge your day before you meet with your customer later that morning.
You might enjoy: Travel Tip Tuesday #10: Travel Pillow for Sleeping on a Plane
I am always envious of those that can actually sleep on a plane. With a takeoff nap you usually aren’t really falling completely asleep. Just a little power nap, if you will.
I love it! And frankly, I need it most days.
Thanks for reading!
So, yeah, that’s it. That’s a takeoff nap. Do you enjoy the wondrous beauty of the takeoff nap? What other fun business travel hacks do you enjoy? How do you recharge while traveling for work?
Join the conversation and leave us a comment, below.
By the way, if you are interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might check out these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips – the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 9 Healthy Travel Snacks – eat smarter on the road
- 11 Best Hotel Beds – Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- Product Review: OGIO Metro Backpack, The Business Traveler’s Backpack
- Ultimate Bitcoin Travel Directory: How and where to use crypto for travel
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler – the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- 9 Travel Safety Tips to help you stay safe on your next trip
- The Best Travel Gifts for Her – A Gift Guide for Women Who Love to Travel
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- How to get over jet lag while you travel – 11 Jet Lag Tips for every traveler
- The Mileage Run – A Frequent Flyer Travel Hack You Need to Know