Using an off-airport rental car company could save you some extra dough. It’s been all about rental cars this month. Each Tuesday we are bringing you a new travel tip and this month, we are honing in on rental cars.
This Tuesday’s travel tip deals with off airport rental car companies and how using them might save you a few bucks in exchange for a little convenience.
Note: today’s Travel Tip Tuesday doesn’t really apply to the business traveler, per se, who we often focus on here at the CBoardingGroup. A business traveler is likely to not care about any additional charges because it’s not coming out of his/her pocket. Moreover, they are not willing to sacrifice the convenience of an airport rental (picking up and dropping off) to save the company a few bucks. Nor would their company expect them to. But, hey business travelers take vacations too…and maybe this will come in handy for them.
Thus far this month we’ve shared the following Rental Car related travel tips:
- Travel Tip Tuesday #11: Never Prepay your Gas with a Rental Car
- Travel Tip Tuesday #12: Skip the GPS when renting a car
And, of course, you can read all of the preceding Travel Tip Tuesday’s here.
Travel Tip Tuesday: Go off Airport to save a few bucks
Ok, let’s get to it. As noted above, renters may be able to save a few extra bucks by going off-airport to rent their vehicle.
In most cases (although not always) rental car rates from airports will be a little higher than those you can get “in-town.” This is largely for convenience reasons and is essentially the laws of supply and demand in work.
There is greater demand for car rentals at the airport (more people, convenience, etc) than might be at an off-airport facility. This convenience could be as high as 30%.
I ran a little test to demonstrate this for you. Using Enterprise, I compared rates for an economy car for a Friday through Monday rental. I compared the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport location to the Hyatt Regency Pickup location (which is a 10 minute Uber ride from the airport). The results are meaningful (see below):
A total of 40.00 over the period of rental difference. The uber ride would have cost you maybe 10.00 or so. So, basically for the cost of a meal for 2 you get the convenience of renting the car at the airport.
Renters may be able to save even more money by choosing an off-brand car rental company like Fox or Sixt as opposed to the name brands like Hertz, National, Enterprise, etc. Of course, sites like Hotwire.com and Expedia.com may have regional, local or time-specific deals as well and if you are really on a budget, they are always worth a check.
The tale of the tape, this Travel Tip Tuesday is this:
At least consider (and price out) renting your car at an off-airport location. It might just save you few shekels!
Hey…if you are looking for a cool gadget to take with you on your trip, look no further than an Air Conditioner Mounted Magnetic Phone Holder. You can mount this in your car and use your GPS app and actually see where you are supposed to turn while driving. I personally recommend the WizGear and you can read my product review here.
Thanks for tuning in to Travel Tip Tuesday again
Check back next Tuesday for another practical travel tip related to rental cars.
If you can’t wait for more Rental Car related travel tips and hacks check out our 9 Secret Rental Car Hacks You Need to Know
For readers interested in more travel tips and travel advice, you might be like these great articles:
- 147 Business Travel Tips – the ultimate list of road warrior tips & tricks
- 31 Amazing Hotel Hacks Travel Pros Use all the Time
- 53 Amazing Gifts for Business Travelers in the 2019 Gift Guide for Travelers
- 9 Healthy Travel Snacks – eat smarter on the road
- Ultimate Bitcoin Travel Directory: How and where to use crypto for travel
- 11 Best Hotel Beds – Where to Buy that Hotel Mattress You Loved!
- 7 Habits of the Healthy Business Traveler: How to Stay Healthy While Traveling for Business
- 101 Travel Hacks for the Business Traveler – the Best Business Travel Hacks
- 11 Packing Tips for Travel (the best packing tips for air travel)
- 26 Must Have Travel Gadgets & Gear to add to your travel kit
- 9 Travel Safety Tips to help you stay safe on your next trip
- The Best Travel Gifts for Her – A Gift Guide for Women Who Love to Travel
- The Ultimate List of the Best Travel Blogs 2019 Edition
- Best Travel Drone – compare and contrast the top rated drones for travel
- Top Travel Pillows – the best travel pillows for 2019
- What’s a young driver fee & what’s the best under 25 Car Rental Company?
- Anker PowerCore 20100 Review – Should I buy?